Akka Mahadevi Poems
- Sunlight Made Visible Sunlight made visible the whole length...
- O Lord, White As Jasmine You're like milk In water: I cannot...
- Show Me Your Way Out Like a silkworm weaving her house with ...
- Love's Marvellous Ways Look at love's marvellous ways:
- How Can You Be Modest People, male and female, blush when a...
- O Lord, Listen To Me O Lord, listen to me if you will, listen...
- Don'T Despise Me Don't despise me as She who has no ...
Akka Mahadevi (ಅಕ್ಕ ಮಹಾದೇವಿ) or Mahadevi or Mahadeviyakkha, a brilliant medieval Kannada poet, rebel and mystic, was a prominent figure of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of the 12th century Karnataka. Her Vachanas in Kannada, a form of didactic poetry are considered her greatest contribution to Kannada Bhakti literature. It is said that she was the first woman to write Vachanas in Kannada literature. In all she wrote about 430 Vachanas which is relatively fewer than that compared to some other saints of her time. Yet the term 'Akka' (elder Sister) which is an honorific given to her by great Veerashaiva saints like Basavanna, Chenna Basavanna, Kinnari Bommayya, Siddharama, Allamaprabhu and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Akka Mahadevi
Sunlight Made Visible
Sunlight made visible
the whole length of a sky,
movement of wind,
leaf, flower, all six colours
on tree, bush and creeper:
is the day's worship.
Night and day
in your worship
I forget myself
O lord white as jasmine.