Akka Mahadevi Poems
- Show Me Your Way Out Like a silkworm weaving her house with ...
- O Lord, White As Jasmine You're like milk In water: I cannot...
- Sunlight Made Visible Sunlight made visible the whole length...
- How Can You Be Modest People, male and female, blush when a...
- Love's Marvellous Ways Look at love's marvellous ways:
- Don'T Despise Me Don't despise me as She who has no ...
- Would A Circling Surface Vultu... Would a circling surface ...
Akka Mahadevi (ಅಕ್ಕ ಮಹಾದೇವಿ) or Mahadevi or Mahadeviyakkha, a brilliant medieval Kannada poet, rebel and mystic, was a prominent figure of the Veerashaiva Bhakti movement of the 12th century Karnataka. Her Vachanas in Kannada, a form of didactic poetry are considered her greatest contribution to Kannada Bhakti literature. It is said that she was the first woman to write Vachanas in Kannada literature. In all she wrote about 430 Vachanas which is relatively fewer than that compared to some other saints of her time. Yet the term 'Akka' (elder Sister) which is an honorific given to her by great Veerashaiva saints like Basavanna, Chenna Basavanna, Kinnari Bommayya, Siddharama, Allamaprabhu and ... more »
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Akka Mahadevi
Show Me Your Way Out
Like a silkworm weaving
her house with love
from her marrow,
in her body's threads
winding tight, round
desiring what the heart desires.
Cut through, O Lord,
my heart's greed,
and show me
your way out,
O Lord white as jasmine