Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

• Kay Staley (8/28/2014 9:42:00 AM) Post reply Stage

To write a good poem, first decide who you are writing it for. If the poem is for yourself then let yourself all out into your work; try to capture all of your feelings into it. If the poem is for other readers and you want it to be remembered/liked, then you have to follow their rules. I would advice to always rhyme your poetry because nonrhyming poetry is not remembered as easily. If you name your poems then make sure that the name is catchy and different. Dont make the poem to short (for fear people will think its a quote) and dont make the poem to long (for fear that people will think its a book) . Use drastic language and put in lots of emotion to make the reader identify. Be extreme in whatever you talk about. If you are being unrealistic, then go to the sky with it. If you are being realistic make sure to make it sad because life doesnt turn out that great and everyone knows it. Good luck writing poetry and if you need help or want to ask questions about ideas or anything like that, be sure to message me!

• Mohammad Skati (8/27/2014 5:14:00 PM) Post reply Stage

When anyone or any poet is tired writing poetry, just go ahead and read or listen to others' poems.

• Mohammad Skati (8/27/2014 5:12:00 PM) Post reply Stage

To write a poem anytime, it means you have the inclination to do so. Just go ahead and never hesitate to write even one line, two lines, and a few lines.

• Pranab K Chakraborty (8/27/2014 12:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

...and finally write alone as many as possible better than to write nothing.

• Mohammad Skati (8/26/2014 2:32:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Dear members, please be informed that there are pretty ways that help anyone writing poetry. Firstly reading a lot of poems and enjoying them to different poets. Secondly listening to audio tapes concerned with poetry. Thirdly writing any kind in any way just to motivate one's writing skills. If one's grammar is not strong, then he can start learning well. Fourthly relying on friends who are poets to get some help from. Studying the poetry's techniques well. I hope I offered good tips to all friends.Thanks.

• Pranab K Chakraborty (8/25/2014 12:32:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Readers in truest sense do not bother the length and height of a poem. They simply find a poem to read which catches them to a flight of different world not they known it before.

• Pranab K Chakraborty (8/25/2014 12:27:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Poem does not depend on its preoccupied measuring parameters. It's much mathematical practiced by those who are already mechanical with their forms not to expose undefined by it's spirit.

• Heather Wilkins (8/24/2014 2:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

read and study different poem forms. They are numerous forms to practice. This will enhance your variety of work

Replies for this message:
    • Heather Wilkins (8/27/2014 2:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

yes please do write your poems any style you prefer. As each poet continues to develop his/her craft they will gain knowledge in writing poetry. Poetry comes from within Each one is in different s ... more

• Mohammad Skati (8/25/2014 10:27:00 AM) Post reply Stage

In addition to what our great poetess added, please go ahead listen, read, and write anyway you like. You don't need to be gifted, but just go ahead if you're inclined to write poetry any form. Thanks ... more

• Heather Wilkins (8/24/2014 2:18:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Many times the reader will become bored with a long poem. a good idea I have found is about 14-18 lines. I keep my work much shorter than that. If a poem is getting very long end the poem. Take the last line start a new poem and continue the same thought

Replies for this message:
    • Kay Staley (8/28/2014 9:44:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Great comment. Very good advice. Just wanted to add that if the poem is to short, it could be in danger of being classified as a quote. So keep both extremes in mind and find a happy medium. Its hard ... more

• Heather Wilkins (8/24/2014 2:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

the title is very important to the poem. an impressive title will get the attention of the reader. many time the title can come from a few words in the poem describing it.

[Hata Bildir]