Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Rajaram Ramachandran Male, 83, India (6/20/2004 3:33:00 AM)

The traditional verses have their own merits and demerits. With the passage of time, it may not be that much easy to follow them. The modern English has its own advantage, in which people communicate their thoughts and feelings in the current language. 'Old order changes yielding place to new.' It is not necessary that we should follow the traditional style of poems and break our head by twisting the sentences just for the sake of rythm and rhyme. It is just like saying 'Why the sky is high, because grandmother told a lie.' What is the connection between the sky and the grandmother? Just to satisfy the rhyme, let us not say what is not to be said. We should feel free to express in a simple style, so that it will reach the common man, with a little knowledge of English. After all the aim of a poem is that the message should reach everyone irrespective of his education. With the advent of prose-poetries, this has become easy now to write poems easily readable and understandable. This style I have been following for the last 30 years in my poems, which the poem-world has accepted, particularly in the website PoemHunter under my pen name 'Rajaram Ramachandran.' Ofcourse, I have been maintaining the rhyme theme as far as possible to give them a poetic shape.
By Rajaram Ramachandran, Juhu, Mumbai, India (Dated 20-6-2004)

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Navin , (3/5/2005 12:47:00 AM) Post reply

I think Great Rabinder Nath Tagore might have thought about the styles or whats fits what people likes, thenhe might not have written the poems, He juss expressed his emotion in words, A poet never writed thinking that poeple like it or not.Without ever wonder hows it will respond. Some poems people like some
    are buried in past

[Hata Bildir]