Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

David Blaine Male, 59, United States (12/23/2004 11:43:00 AM)

Charles Bukowski has this epitaph on his headstone: Don't Try

I think a lot of writers try as a substitute for life experience. When you are active, when you are doing things, all types of things, in your life, poetry ideas come to you. If I can't get started I go for a run or a bike ride. I always have ideas after a vacation, even if it's just a weekend away in the next town. I also surround myself with words. If I want to write a poem about a gun I'll collect word lists about guns, ammo, wars, all kinds of things relating to guns. I'll read those lists for a few days and think about them. Then I usually wake up at 2AM with a poem to write down. But it sometimes needs serious revision in the morning!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• dissatified exmember (2/1/2005 2:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Absolutely David. Thats exactly what I do. If the idea is there run with it then walk away. Later from a different perspective I come back and do the editing. Thats the way I write my books also.

Hugs
    Jan

Replies for this message:
    • Aldo Kraas (1/27/2007 2:05:00 AM) Post reply

When an Idea comes You have to write down or Otherwise you loose it

[Hata Bildir]