Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

mujjj bilk Female, 40, Yugoslavia (5/29/2005 10:23:00 PM)

helloooo

i recently learned (from others) that i'm pretty talented at writing poetry. Please, experienced poets, let me know your opinion.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Eric Paul Shaffer (7/4/2005 5:10:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Jamie-I read the first five of your poems. As a beginner, you probably need to read some poems as you begin your attempts at writing lines of your own. At this point, I suggest you read 20 poems for every one you write. Sample all kinds of poems. An excellent collection is GOOD POEMS, edited by Garrison Keillor, which you will find at any Borders or B&N. Take a copy from the shelf, buy a cup of coffee, sit down and start reading anywhere; it is an amazing collection of high-quality contemporary poems. Read the poems out loud to get an idea of how voice works in lines. Finally, before you show your poems, always proof-read. Misspellings and confusing punctuation are disrespectful to your readers, and most will give you only one chance. Read, then write.

[Hata Bildir]