Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Gwilym Williams Male, 66, Austria (6/27/2005 10:37:00 AM)

To improve your poetry writing you must read, read, read and read the really good poetry by the top poets: Ted Hughes, Seamus Heaney, Dylan Thomas, R S Thomas etc. or in America and other lands many others. And then you must stand on their shoulders, take a deep breath and go for it. But you must never quit with the reading. Probably you should read 20 great poems for every moderate one you wish to write. There are no short cuts! And there are no excuses! There are some great poems and poets on this very site. What are you waiting for? Oh a final thought, if you read rubbish you'll write rubbish. Read the best you can find. Expand your vocabulary. Here endeth the first lesson!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sherry Pedersen-Thrasher (7/15/2005 9:31:00 AM) Post reply

I could not agree more. I have been told that for every poem we write we should read one hundred others. Yes, there are certainly no shortcuts in this arena. A very thought provoking post. Please review my work.
    Sherry Pedersen

[Hata Bildir]