Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jennifer .. Female, 18, United States (6/14/2011 3:22:00 PM)

Im usually the girl writting about love and death and everything thats mushy and sweet but i want to try and write about other things but i really have no clue what to write about. IF you have any ideas please comment :) thanks

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Cleveland Gibson (7/5/2011 6:49:00 AM) Post reply

Jennifer
    Most people, poets included, remember something of their childhood. I mean a nursery Rhyme they enjoyed. What about writing a poem taking in a favourite rhyme but now placing your poet's slant on the story. Extend the idea to other sections of your life. What films became your favourite. Might it have been 'American in Paris' if so then imagine a 'Tramp in New York? ' Anything goes, as they say. Westerns, films, books, newspapers, and articles all hold something of interest. Now you've only to write it from your own viewpoint.Play sport.
    Best

• Alek Lenth (6/24/2011 10:06:00 PM) Post reply

To Jennifer.. and others,

If you have poet that you like try looking through the titles of his/her poems. If some of them interest you, maybe you might like writing about similar themes.

Similarly you could scan the recent poems here on poemhunter... eventually you will find some you like and they may be of a genre on which you had never previously thought.

• Jennifer .. (6/18/2011 4:00:00 PM) Post reply

thanks so much for your advise! :) really helps

• Sharron Stephenson (6/17/2011 9:40:00 AM) Post reply

have thought about the nature outside

• Orla Lynch (6/16/2011 10:40:00 AM) Post reply

I'm the same. I love writing about my feelings and others and death/sadness. If you find you need to write other things try relate to peoples lives. Try writing about your friends or make up character. I hope I've helped.

[Hata Bildir]