Treasure Island

Writing Poetry

Discuss ways to improve your poetry. Post your techniques, tips, and creative ideas about how to write better.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Doris Cornago Doris Cornago Female, 62, Philippines (2/15/2014 1:14:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Same here, Chris. I came over from another website hoping to find welcome from veteran poets. The most I see are bickering and backbiting. There are a few newbie who will gawk at veterans decapitating one another. I would rather sit with one true poet under the sun and go into conversational poems rather than bother with learning in an ingrown literary institution or self-proclaimed " teachers" . So, how to improve writing poetry?Be less of a " poet" , but more of a lover of nature, and what nature teaches - talk about these gifts and you are not far from being a lover of words and what words can convey to another avid kindred lover.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Thomas Vaughan Jones Rookie - 1st Stage (2/25/2014 10:17:00 AM) Post reply

Hmm. Anyone can write " poetry" and everyone should be free to have their say. But who is to say that the poetry is a higher form of language if there are no guide lines. I have read in many forums where a poem is published, and the other wannabees jump in with critique. Far better to read, mark, and inwardly digest the art until you can put a poem together which can go forth and hold its own. Besides, it's so much fun learning the formal level of poetry. It makes the poem so much more interesting, both for the writer, and more importantly, the reader.

• Mike Snow Rookie - 1st Stage (2/17/2014 11:56:00 AM) Post reply

I agree 100% with you there Doris. Whos cares about the confines of structure or form. For me the essence and meaning are all. If it hits a chord with only one other person then great, if not, what the heck, I enjoyed writing it. Many blessings to you.

[Hata Bildir]