Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

• Cissy Vee (7/25/2014 7:49:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am seeking the title and poet of a poem in the classical style; I believe its subject was Endymion, or more properly, a statue of Endymion that had fallen and lies broken on the sands, prompting the poet's narrative as he gazes upon the remains. I had thought it might be Yeats', but I think that's wrong...
    Any help would be welcome-

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (7/25/2014 4:27:00 PM) Post reply

Keats (not Yeats) wrote Endymion, but a poem about a fallen statue sounds more like Shelley's Ozymandias.

• Arthur Moore (7/22/2014 8:58:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

The Little Maid Content. Hello everyone, When I was growing up my mother used to quote me this poem whenever I felt lost or was searching for meaning in my life. I don't believe she ever knew the poet's name and unfortunately I only remember the last lines of the poem myself. The narrator, using the little maid Content (contentment) as a metaphor to describe the meaning of life, goes in search of this elusive 'truth'. He cannot find it in the most exalted places, and the lowest of hovels reveal nothing either. On the battleground there is no sign of it, while the quietest of cloisters leave him perplexed as to its whereabouts. The poem ends, 'At last I like wounded bird did homeward crawl, and lo, Content sat spinning at my door. And when I asked her where she was before, " here all the time, she cried, " and though I called, you neither saw nor heard." ' If anyone recognizes this poem, please let me know. I would be so thankful.

• Laura Burns (7/23/2014 9:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

The poem is " Content Written Off Ithaca" by Alfred Austin. You can find it on this site by looking for the title under " Poems" or by looking for Alfred Austin under " Poets. ... more

• Arthur Moore (7/22/2014 8:45:00 PM) Post reply

Hello,
    I just posted a message about the poem The Little Maid Content, but I notice my posting hasn't actually appeared in this forum. I'm just trying to post this now to see if the system is working now.

• Amanda Judd (7/22/2014 2:36:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem I read in grade school. It was about a poor boy in love with a girl and had a line that said something like, " But he was just a poor boy and had nothing to give her but a kiss." It was written by a man and written before 1974. Other than that, I can't tell you much more about it.

• Music On Haida Gwaii (7/22/2014 2:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

So in possibly bad form, I created an account and am immediately asking for help, but I'm obsessed with finding this poem and it can't be avoided!

I might have it all wrong as I can't find it using Google, but I remember reading a poem in high school that I thought was titled Rosa's Mother Was Never Very Good at Keeping House. It's a shorter poem, maybe 15 lines or so, and it is about a woman who was never good at keeping house so she just burned it down instead.

• Laura Burns (7/24/2014 10:36:00 AM) Post reply

ROSE'S MOTHER WAS NOT GOOD AT KEEPING HOUSE By Rosemary Aubert If Rose's mother hated a house it would burn down. Oh, not on purpose, no insurance man issuing the cheque ever questioned t ... more

• Pawel Falkowski (7/22/2014 1:57:00 PM) Post reply

Hi! I’m looking for a poem ‘Everything is different’ (Es ist alles anders) by Paul Celan. I would gladly grab one of the books with the translations of Celan’s poems by Michael Hamburger or John Felstiner, but the nearest library that has them is a few hundred miles away. Thanks!

• X. L. Woo (7/14/2014 9:25:00 AM) Post reply

The Titanic

The Titanic! The gigantic steamer!
    The luxury of the world!
    Is She the pride of modern technique?
    Or the shame of all the helmsmen?
    How many lives She brought down in the icy water?
    How much wealth She sank in the depth of ocean?
    How many tears were shed for Her?
    How many books were written on Her?
    What if no iceberg floated there?
    What if She didn't sink on that fatal night?
    What if happiness didn't turn into mourning?
    What if She completed Her maiden voyage?
    Were She still sailing the blue seas,
    From the Atlantic to the Pacific?
    Or be replaced by a more modern liner?
    And turned into a floating museum on display?
    Would that Time flows back, and nothing happened!
    I would like to see what She is today!

• Noreen Carey (7/9/2014 11:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello, can anyone tell me about a poem called 'The Old Iron Kettle'?The first couple of lines are 'What, part with that old iron kettle?' she said, and her eyes grew dim, If it came to my very last farthing I wouldn't part with him'. It's a poem that my dad told me about when I was growing up. He was born in 1888 and I don't know if it was a poem that perhaps he learnt at school?

Thanks, Noreen

• Laura Burns (7/10/2014 10:27:00 AM) Post reply

THE OLD KETTLE " What! part with that dear old kettle?" She said, and her eyes grew dim, " If I came to my very last farthing I wouldn't part with him. You say that it's batt ... more

• Jess Gromley (7/9/2014 7:44:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi everyone!

I was looking through my phone gallery and found a picture of a poem. Anyone know the poet?

" Song Bird
    She lived among her garden ways,
    like a bird that loves to sing.
    Time to her was but the days
    flowers took for blossoming,
    The world was just a place for spring.

But she learned a singing bird
    Can not breathe the winter's breath,
    and beating wings will not be heard
    against the wings of death."

Please, if anyone knows the writer, let me know! It's bugging me so much. Seriously the one thing I can't stop thinking about. THANKS!

• Laura Burns (7/9/2014 8:58:00 PM) Post reply

The poet is Kathleen Millay (sister to the more well known Edna St. Vincent Millay) and the poem is found in her book The Hermit Thrush.

• Carter Kelly (7/9/2014 12:40:00 AM) Post reply

Hello,
    This is my first time to try this. I remember a poem read in high school literature, and it ended '" ...red, red, cinnabar" . Or at least it contained this line. Does anyone recognize it?

Thanks

[Hata Bildir]