Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Rookie Alex Wall (10/20/2005 10:38:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Hello everyone.

In planning my grandmother's funeral, my family have been trying, without success, to find a poem that she loved. WE can't remember anything about it except for it's title - 'The Day' - and that it was written around the time of WW1.

If anyone knows the poem I mean, or has an idea where I might find it, please email me at: captainslackbladder@hotmail.com - and win my eternal gratitude.

Thanks

Alex

• Rookie Beth Ludrum (10/8/2005 5:50:00 PM) Post reply

Hi,

I am looking for the original version and date of first publication of a poem titled 'Interview with God'.

Many different versions are available online but what I am after is the original one.

Thank you,

Beth

• Rookie Rob Diggins (10/6/2005 7:28:00 AM) Post reply

I'm looking for an old poem my Great Grandma used to recite. The poem starts:

'I went to bed by candlelight'.

Any clues on the title or auther? Thanks.

Rob

• Rookie Gary Baker (10/3/2005 10:41:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I am looking for a poem about an Indian brave who takes an aged Indian squaw out into the woods one cold snowy night to let her die by exposure. It appeared in CAVALCADE OF POEMS published by Scholastic Magazine around 1960.

I am not able to recall the title or the wording of any lines.

Thanks.

Replies for this message:
  • Rookie Julie Verri (10/3/2005 8:10:00 PM) Post reply

I am unable to remember the rest of this verse. Can anyone help me out.

There's a spot that's bathed in beauty,
    on the edge of Fossell Run,
    where the brumby's come to water
    when the summers day is done.
    Men come to steal their freedom,
    if the drought should have them weak.
    They muster along the rangers
    and the flats beside the creek
    Alas my proud wild beauty you go
    by trap and gun.
    But I'll miss you from the waters
    when the summers day is done.
    Thanks

• Rookie Lavonne Ellenbecker (10/2/2005 6:15:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Years ago in High School forensics one of the girls competing read a poem and I am now trying to find it for my daughter. I have NO IDEA what the title was and/or a lot of it. The basis of the poem was about a little girl who lived on another planet and this planet only had the sun come out once every? ? not sure how many years 10 - 20? ? and she had never seen it. She was probably around 7 or 8 and all she could talk about was how excited she was to see the sun; which was about to come out soon. Her other classmates were tired of her talking about it and pushed her into a closet, teasing her that they would keep her locked up and she wouldn't get to see the sun. Then the sun did come out and everyone ran outside to see it and they all forgot about the little girl in the closet as they all played and enjoyed the feel of the sun, etc.
    ANYONE have any idea what poem it is and / or title, writer, etc. I'd love to hear from you! :)
    Thanks.
    LaVonne

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Sue Thom (8/23/2006 4:12:00 AM) Post reply

Lavonne, I'm not familiar with a poem with this plot, but the short story 'All Summer in a Day' by Ray Bradbury fits your description exactly. The children live in a colony on Venus, where it rains a ... more

• Rookie Sarah Munafo (1/6/2006 7:57:00 AM) Post reply

Think this was a short story by either Asimov or Clarke - used ot have it in my collection, but the book fell apart. Story is only about 4 pages long, and extremely emotive. Hope this helps

• Rookie Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:27:00 PM) Post reply

actually i am looking for the lyrics to the brigham bunch can you imagine the number of loads of landry at the beehive in one week

• Rookie Kelly Moy (11/26/2005 2:27:00 PM) Post reply

actually i am looking for the lyrics to ... more

• Rookie Peter James (9/30/2005 11:06:00 PM) Post reply

looking for a poem with the line
    'AND HIS DAYS WORK WAS DONE'
    CAN ANYONE HELP IT WAS AT SCHOOL

• Rookie Mary Sampson (9/29/2005 7:30:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem titled 'The Red on the White.' It is about the clubbing of baby harp seals in Canada. It incorporates some lines and word patterns from William Blake's 'The Lamb' to draw a parallel to the innocence of the baby seals and the sacrificial element of their killing. The title refers to the blood on the ice. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the poet. I came across the poem about 20-30 years ago. I have pretty well exhausted the Internet looking for it.

• Rookie Stephanie Sorrell (9/27/2005 5:38:00 AM) Post reply

I wonder if anyone can tell me where these lines come from. There may be one or two errors as I try to recall...... It has been in the family a lomng time, and I wonder who wrote it:

This period of life is brief,
    it is the red of the red rose leaf....

• Rookie Teresa Dickhoner (9/21/2005 9:14:00 PM) Post reply

I'm looking for a poem I memorized in high school. I can only remember bits and pieces of it. High school graduation was nearly 30 years ago.

'I was a roman, he was but a Jew, yet there he hung between heaven and earth.'

'Stop my ears oh, Father for I can hear his blood drip to the ground.'

'One cried the veil is rent in the temple.'

'Truly this was the Son of God.'

My memory tells me the poem was titled 'The Roman Soilder'.

[Hata Bildir]