Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Chase Masters (7/25/2008 9:30:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

A friend of my mother is looking for a poem that she only remembers a few lines to. It was a favorite of her niece when she was little. If anyone can help me out, it'd be appreciated!

Here are the few lines we know:

Jonathan Preble age three
    Has a lamb for company
    Carved of marble smooth and white

Replies for this message:
  • Stephen West (7/22/2008 8:31:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Does every one get verbal dire rush when they first join this site?

Years ago I taught adult literacy at night classes.
    Wonderful, because all the students REALLY WANTED to be there.
    One of their favourite poems was this little ditty used to demonstrate pronunciation.

There's a man in our village
    Who lives in a little cottage
    He grows some beans and cabbage
    And rides a donkey carriage

He used to work at Dulwich
    A porter in the college
    He'd carry up the luggage
    And carry out the garbage

He never thought of marriage
    And now he's in his dotage
    He sits outside his cottage
    And wonders how he'll manage

And the favourite hand writing verse-

Snail upon the wall, have you anything at all to tell about your shell?
    Only this, my child. When the wind is wild or the sun is hot: it's all I've got.

Any ideas on their origins?

• Stephen West (7/19/2008 5:36:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There is a poem once used as part of a film script (I think)
    The last line is repeated twice
    either
    We have come through.
    or
    We will come through.
    Any ideas please?

• Avery Brown (6/24/2009 1:28:00 AM) Post reply

This is a bit of a long shot but could it have been....? 'I will come back, come back to you.' If so, the film was 'Breaker Morant' starring Edward Woodward. The true story of an Australian soldier ... more

• Bernadette Jay (7/18/2008 6:53:00 PM) Post reply

hi, im new. if anyone could be of help. id appreciate it so much. ive been trying to look for a poem that had something like this....a leaf, once so green is now tattered and torn, tossed by wind......it talks about courage and hope...and not giving up....

thank you so much...

• Gary James Smith (7/18/2008 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

Actually my wife has been looking for a poem for years which she heard read at a baby shower with the line in it, 'This too shall pass! ' Does anyone out there know where to find this poem. She would love to have the poem as she quotes this line to many new mothers after herself raising ten children, who are all grown now. Thank you

• Mark Stalnaker (7/17/2008 1:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

My name is Mark Stalnaker, I have been browsing and enjoying your site!

I live in North Carolina (USA) , and the summers here often are hot and terribly humid. I have noticed, over the last few years, that this time of year leads me to be sad, wistful, etc. It feels as if each long day might never end. I had similar feelings when quite young—looking down the street as the sun was slowly sinking and thinking, “what am I doing here? ” Sort of like “ontological shock” or “angst.” As if all of the meaning might drain from life.

In any case, I wonder if you know of poems that might touch on such issues?

Thanks!

• Stephen West (7/20/2008 11:35:00 AM) Post reply

Thee Dog Night or similar did a number in the sixties which started, , , , Hot town Summer in the city Back of my neck getting pretty sticky...... or similar. Also browse Rudyard Kipling for tro ... more

• Stephen West (7/16/2008 2:39:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Three items for which I need info please. So I can sleep at night.
    A poem by DH Lawrence the last line being something like
    'The old have only lies to tell......
    A music hall comic song called 'The Physician' wherein a woman laments how her medic loved all the bits of her body but, as the last line declares,
    'But he never said he loved me'.
    A poem called 'Potephars Wife' wherein Joseph sits in his dotage with his memories, recalls his master's woman and her seductive ways.The last line is 'Oh Lord what a fool I was'.
    Help Please. I would do the same for you!

• Laura Burns (11/3/2008 7:20:00 PM) Post reply

The Physician by Cole Porter. I posted the whole thing earlier but accidentally deleted it. But Stephen West has seen it and others can Google it.

• Laura Burns (7/17/2008 1:58:00 PM) Post reply

The only 'Potiphar's Wife' I know of is the one by Edwin Arnold, but it does not match your description. You can find it at: http: //dev.hil.unb.ca/Texts/EPD/UNB/view-works.cgi? c=arnoldsi.1448&pos= ... more

• Vikki Avery (7/10/2008 9:17:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello, please help. I am creating scrapebooks for 2 boys i have childminded for for 2 years, they are 2 and 3 yrs old.Our time together is ending shortly due to me taking a new job. I will miss the boys and their parents deeply and wish for a verse / poem to put in their scrapbooks. Any ideas?

• Andrew Blakemore (7/10/2008 5:28:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Vikki, I wrote a poem called 'Forget me not' that's on PH, it's about parting from a loved one. You are welcome to use it if you find it suitable. Best wishes, Andrew

• Ken Holmes (7/7/2008 1:43:00 PM) Post reply

I am searching for a poem my girlfriend of 40 years ago read in a contest. Since she didn't know she was my girlfriend, she didn't realize the affect it had on me :)

Interestingly, the contest involved reading two poems and connecting them. Her second poem was Robert Frost's 'Out Out'. A very strange pairing, but it was a personal pairing - the death of her older brother in Vietnam and her love for her brother.

I thought the love poem was also by Robert Frost, but was unable to locate it in his works. The poem is a quest to define love. My memory recalls things like 'What is love? ' 'Love is like a rose' 'Love is a white dove' as well as several other attempts to label love. Most poems with similar themes tend to be more definitive in answering the question, while this poem was a soft pleading as if the author was trying to convince himself/herself that there is a clear answer, ultimately (if memory serves) , you are left with love is undefinable. It is a poem that leaves you longing to describe your feelings of love but never being able to express the words.

Perhaps that's why my girlfriend 40 years ago, never knew my feelings.

• Jenny Blake (7/5/2008 1:36:00 PM) Post reply

I am looking for a poem for my mother, about a welsh miner who stole bread to feed his children which she read as a child approximately 72 years ago - anyone any ideas please.

[Hata Bildir]