Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Looking For A Poem

Post a message
  • Captain Paul (3/10/2008 6:28:00 AM) Post reply

Hi there,

I'm trying to track down the author and name of the poem below. It's engraved on the back of a brass hand pocket Dollond compass I have but has no author or name engraved in addition to the poem. The maker of these old compasses (no longer around) I'm told by an antique dealer used poems by Robert Frost however after doing an extensive search for phrases in the poem and looking through Frost's poems can't seem to find this particular poem, any ideas? Here it goes:

Inner time is limitless from past lives can no longer remember, only feel time flows.
    And around me a continuum moves and swirls, engulfing me.
    And moves majestically beyond my inner sight or imagination this time is immense, a celestial sphere.
    Yet it does not forget me, it embraces me.
    I am a part of its verity.
    It is part of mine my life flows, it flows.

Cheers, Paul.
    http: //wizlab.com

• Shannon Wooden (3/7/2008 9:43:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I read a cshort cowboy poem long ago about a can of condensed milk. It contained a line similar to 'just pop open the can and drink the son-of-a-bitch...'
    If anyone knows where to find it or the author please post a response.

thanks.

Replies for this message:
    • Laura Burns (3/8/2008 2:06:00 PM) Post reply

You can find a number of variations on this poem (don't believe any one of them is definitive) at: http: //www.snopes.com/business/deals/carnation.asp

• Meme Meme (3/5/2008 7:24:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

hi, i'm looking for the name of the poem with the following lines. i am pretty sure it is by james elroy flecker. some sites say it is from his poem play hassan but i don't think that is right.

Go as a Pilgrim, and seek out Danger
    Far from the comfort and the well Lit Avenues of life,
    Pit your very Soul Against the unknown,
    And Seek Stimulation in the company of the brave,

• Bou Aliyya (4/3/2008 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

We travel not for traffiking alone by hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned for lust of knowing what should not be known we take [tread? ] the golden road to Samarkand. This is from a James E ... more

• Melissa Knight (2/27/2008 3:53:00 PM) Post reply

Hi everyone im looking for a poem called how come from an afro amer poet speaking of how no matter what changes blacks go through they will always b black. Can any1 help me?

• Jeremiah Mclovin (2/27/2008 12:28:00 PM) Post reply

has any body heard of the loving tree i dont know who its by but my mom used to tell it to me

• Andrea Gambardella (2/26/2008 7:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Looking for George MacDonald poem...'Where do you come from, baby dear? , Out of the everywhere into the here'

• Laura Burns (2/27/2008 3:50:00 PM) Post reply

You can find it as a PDF at: http: //pastordavidrn.com/files/BABY.pdf

• Dirk Velten (2/24/2008 5:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Looking for a poem I read years ago about a woman who has lost one breast (or perhaps both) to cancer and a man who is too uncomfortable about that to be with her in physical intimacy. The image that stands out comes at the end of the poem. She has left him a bowl of fresh flower petals beneath which it is filled with dry, dead bees. I'd love to pass it on to someone and appreciate any help in finding it. Thanks.

• Ophelia Joseph (2/18/2008 5:33:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi,
    I am looking for a poem written, I am sure, by a female britsh poet.
    The poem was included, I think, in the book 'The Nations Favourite Poems' by the BBC.
    The poem is quite short and was towards the front of the book.
    It was about being a mother and ended in a line similar to this; 'this is my life, pass it on'.
    The author was trying to convey how she had given her life to raise her children.
    I can't get to the library and I desperately need it. I have tried many kinds of searches but without the author or the name of the poem it is proving very difficult.
    I'd be thrilled if someone has the book or knows the poem and can help me!
    Many thanks,

Linz.

• Laura Burns (2/18/2008 6:57:00 PM) Post reply

I don't think the poem is online, being still under copyright. It is 'The Mother' by Anne Stephenson.

• Diane Dellobuono (2/15/2008 2:42:00 PM) Post reply

I heard a poem a LONG time ago, and can not remember the title or anything. It was written about/as if an alien watched the earth from above. Seeing the freeway and making mention of how you could see the insides of the creatures. Some had one moving thing/others had lots. (meaning the people in the cars) I am sure this is a VERY OLD poem. Heard it when I was in school, ages ago. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Diane

• Amanda Pickett (2/14/2008 7:20:00 AM) Post reply

Hi all, I am afet some help. I am to be married in Sept abd am looking for a poem that would be suitable for a civil ceremony. Does anybody have any ideas, they will all be gratufuly recieved. Thanks

[Hata Bildir]