Treasure Island

Looking For A Poem

Can't find a poem you've heard once? Ask other visitors for help. Also share explanations and summaries of poems.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Maria Borg C. Female, 54, Malta (12/5/2005 6:04:00 AM)

I was touched by an anonymous poem which Callum Best - George Best's son read out during his father's funeral. I would be so grateful if anyone could send me either the words or at least where to find same.

Thanks in advance
Maria (maribcost@hotmail.com / maria@artec.com.mt)

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sally Hemingway (12/8/2005 4:15:00 PM) Post reply

Best's son read a poem by Julie McClelland:

'Farewell our friend, but not goodbye. Your time has come, your soul must fly. To dance with angels, find the sun, but how we'll miss our special one.

He walks among us just a while, weaved your magic, made us smile. Your life was so full of light and tears, we lived it through you, through the years.

'The golden days, they went so fast. The precious times, why can't they last? So many loved you, did you know? We were not ready to let you go.

'The stars from Heaven are only lent. A gift from God, that's why they're sent. We won't forget our Belfast boy, he filled our lives with so much joy. Your star will shine now in the sky. Farewell our friend, but not goodbye.'

• John Batch (12/7/2005 11:39:00 AM) Post reply

Maria - I too was so touched by the wisdom in the words of the first poem read at George Bests funeral. Have you been able to find the poem. I have been trying to find it aswell. Please let me know and I wil also advise if I find the poem.

Many Thanks

John

[Hata Bildir]