Treasure Island

Freeform Workshop

Post a message
  • Moriah Cyr (6/21/2005 6:36:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

You see it all the time I suppose. All of us newbies, declaring our newness. Asking for a bit of attention. I must be so self absorbed that I need your approval. Well, I guess I do then. My sister is the English major, not I. She seems to think that I should persue writing, but all that ever comes out of me seems childish and simple. I need to know if this is something that I should abandon. I don't want to waste anyone's time, and so will post only one, in hopes that I lure you willingly to read the others. Of course, if you don't like the first, I probably won't be getting any visitors any time soon. Please, if you have a moment, I would greatly appreciate your (anyone's) input.
    Thanks...

Replies for this message:
    • Moriah Cyr (6/21/2005 6:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

OOOPPPSS.... I forgot the 'poem'. :) Here goes. Don't Touch Don't touch me... I cannot bear you touch me there. My heart's in shambles, no longer there. I've hidden away my deep ... more

• Bc Busby (6/12/2005 12:43:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Greetings everyone,

I am new to this site and looking forward to developing a better understanding of myself and the world around me through poetry. While I do not consider myself a good writer or even a good poet some of my professors and friends have suggested that I have an innate talent for the written word. So after many years of procrastination, I am attempting to explore the idea that I possibly may have some sort of natural ability, and should therefore develop it.

That said, it has been years since I have actively studied litertature, grammer, anything to do with writing or the written word. I am a film tech who specializes in digital restorations of photos, film scanning, and other photo related tasks. So if I'm not in front of a computer all day I'm either behind a camera shooting headshots for friends or just lounging around doing what I do best...nothing. Well, maybe not exactly nothing but many people do not consider playing video games a very productive way to spend time.

To be perfectly honest, I hate writing. I am extremely lazy and if there is an easy way to accomplish something, that is usually the way for me. But sometimes I am compelled to write. So I am here to understand why and to explore the possiblity that maybe I am suppose to write (which seems very dreadful and requires a strong sense of determination and drive) .

Hopefully I have not driven anyone to boredom by this post but I felt compelled to present a small snapshot of myself and who I am. Now that I have done so here are two of the poets that I am currently reading: Pablo Neruda - 100 Love Sonnets, Odes to Opposites, Twenty Love Poems and a Song of Despair
    Yusef Komunyakaa - Dien Cai Dau, Copacetic, and Neon Vernacular

I am beginning my journey here (freeform best describes how I write) but I am interested in learning what it takes to write Sonnets and Haiku. If anyone has any suggestions on these two forms or know of some excellent contemporary poets that excell in these fields I would love to open a correspondence.

Looking forward to reading and hearing from anyone here. Thatnks for your time.

BC Busby
    legendof_1_spirit

• Rohit Jnagal (5/31/2005 8:18:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Everyday Worries

Bent Back
    And losing hair.
    My toothbrush slowly dies.

• Raynette Eitel (5/28/2005 6:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 6 replies Stage

I believe the best poets are those who have studied their craft well enough to master every type of poetry. The poets who have really made their mark on the world can write a sonnet just as quickly as freeverse. They decide which sort of poem best fits what they want to say. It is not enough to just feel deeply about something. Look at the many poets on this website who obviously feel deeply but have not mastered language enough to say what they feel. There are too many who decide not to be careful with language, spelling, grammar; yet all of these are tools a poet must master before the poem can be done. Imagine an artist who decides not to learn how to manage a paintbrush or mix colors! Poetry is an art form and if we are true poets, we will search out ways to master it. I agree that more people need to read as many poets as possible...and not just on this website. Raw emotion is not enough for a poem; neither is a careful, detailed description. Look for metaphors, similes, unusual, haunting words that make what you want to say sound different. And never once imagine that poems that have meter and rhyme are the lazy way out. Only the poor ones...but to find just the right word...and just the right rhyme...Oh, there's the rub!

Raynette

• Autumn Jones (1/4/2009 4:50:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I don't think a poem is ever done. What about some one who truly loves to write and is enjoyed by the people around them? Does it really matter if they are grammatically correct or whether they succes ... more

• Aldo Kraas (2/10/2007 9:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This is not a poem

• Joseph Daly (11/10/2005 8:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I couldn't agree with you more Raynette. Your criticism of some of the works on this site is spot on. What I do find irritatating are some of the comment that are left about poems. There seems to be a ... more

• Willem VanVoorthuysen (11/7/2005 4:30:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Bravo! Raynette. We're mostly on the sam ... more

• Velmar Pewee Hale Johnson (7/17/2005 11:36:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Not necessarily so. Though I do have a F ... more

• David Zvekic (6/13/2005 3:35:00 PM) Post reply Stage

That post should be nailed on the door o ... more

• Bill Simmons (5/26/2005 10:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

To (Aashish Ameya) A response,
    A true poet writes not because he wants to, he has to. There is something deep seeded within that makes them quite different from everyone else. They are pushed and driven by this thing that becomes their existence and their being. They are passionate and are able to pick up a simple flower and see what not is in the hand but the flower itself. They are able to see every grain, , every petal, the existence of the flower, the fragrance and what it represents. They then are able to, written in their own words, share what it is they see, feel, or touch. It makes no difference wether it is a flower or not. So what is a Poet? A poet is one who allows others to see what it is they see, feel, touch, imagine, smell, or dream, and they do it in only words. When the one writes down his passions onto paper, whatever it may be, the one becomes a poet. For a poets work is the passions and existence of himself shared to others.
    I am going to share with you a story, , , , A teacher told her class, 'Today class, We are going to be visited by a wonderful poet, but first I am going to read to you a wonderful story he has written.' She then began reading the story 'The Leprechaun Tree'. The children grew very quiet as they listened and clung to every word. They could vision the characters and for a spell were no longer in the classroom but far away on some enchanted land. Not a sound was made until the teacher looked up at the class and said, the end. The children said, 'Wow, that was a good story, that was really great! ' Then they asked, 'Do we get to meet the poet now? ' The teacher replied, 'Don't you see, you just did! '
    In response to your second question. (What is the soul of a poet?) I believe you already know the answer to that. Just look within your own self.

• Aashish Ameya (5/19/2005 8:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

can any body tell me why we are writting poetry? and whats the soul of a poem?

• Sue Casey (6/6/2005 10:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Why Write She asked me. I could see the little smile cross her face. let her answer that little puzzle. A flight of letters tumbled from my fingers. An answer comes to the unasked question. Wh ... more

• Jay Schexnayder (5/21/2005 9:42:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I sure as heck can't. I don't even like poetry, but I've written some. Go figure.

• Tsu Tsu (5/8/2005 11:23:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Just...something.

In the blue light of the jaded sun shines
    I wander-
    Lost in the haze of spiderwebs dreams
    Of sepia-toned yesteryears that chime
    In windsong

• Cassie C (4/29/2005 8:57:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I find that strict adherence rhythm and rhyme schemes is often the reason for 'lazy' poetry. It gives poets an excuse for not finding that perfect word, for diluting their meaning with cliches and folk sayings.
    Free form takes away the excuses.

• Cliff Matthews (5/25/2005 9:50:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Any poetry that contains cliche is likely to be a poor poem whether in free form or metre. I find that the exact opposite of your contention to be more common. Many 'poets' adopt free form because ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
  • Solitary Man (4/7/2005 5:14:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Personally, I think that freeform is the best style for self-expression because there is no formula and it is open for anybody. That doesn't mean that no discipline is required. I like all forms but I think beginners can gain confidence by starting with freeform writing until they find their feet. Just a thought.

• Aldo Kraas (2/10/2007 9:26:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I agree a 100% with it

• Leanna Stead (4/27/2005 9:05:00 AM) Post reply Stage

You know, it's funny - but even though I agree with you, my experience was different. When I was growing up I had trouble writing freeform verse even though I wanted to very, very much. I found mysel ... more

• Scarborough Gypsy (4/1/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Order! Order!

What the hell is going on on this forum? ? It's supposed to be a discussion about free form poetry. I feel like I've just walked into a class room where the teacher hasn't shown up.

Ali, stop telling us to read the Photo poem. Enough is enough.

Jerry, every time I read one of your comments you crack me up. You have the best sense of humour.

The rest of you should read some more poetry.

Kind regards
    Gypsy

[Hata Bildir]