Treasure Island

Rhythm and Rhyme Workshop

Workshop for poetry written in traditional forms.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Wayne Guy Butterfield Male, 66, United States (12/3/2005 4:38:00 AM)

I'm with you re 4 or 5 stanzas, Mary. Maybe even less... especially where the poem seems just plain obscure to me. I might stick with it a bit longer, though, if the rhythm and rhyme are interesting. Still, I think I actually like 'long' poems most when they do work for me. But that seems to require more complex thoughts and images, and a structure that supports their development at greater length. And again for me at least, a more complicated (but well integrated) system of rhythm and rhyme seems to help a lot in creating such a structure, hence lending support to the development of more complex thoughts and images. Score one for rhythm and rhyme?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mary Nagy (12/3/2005 4:07:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I think when the poem is written well you don't even notice if it seems extra long........some poems are so well written you hate to see them end. It is never clear-cut one way or another. I guess that's why there are so many great debates about it! :)

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (12/3/2005 6:07:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies Stage

Wayne, you came to the right poet......I have plenty of LONG poems on this site.
    Help yourself. Some of them even work very well.
    Best
    H

Replies for this message:
    • Wayne Guy Butterfield (12/7/2005 12:22:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Thanks, Herbert! I'll take a look when I get a chance (and they better be LONNNNNG ;) Best, Wayne

• Ernestine Northover (12/3/2005 1:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Gosh, I going to bring my Flask and sandwiches, Herbert and start sifting through these long ones of yours too. Love Ernestine XXX

• Mary Nagy (12/3/2005 7:01:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I definately agree with that Herbert!

[Hata Bildir]