Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Shifty Moriarty Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 5:55:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

women
    who
    say
    size
    doesn't
    count
    are
    shallow

Replies for this message:
    • Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 8:41:00 PM) Post reply

This reminds me of the joke that goes: Two guys standing at the river's edge taking a pee, and the first guy says, " damn, this water sure is cold" . And the second guy says, " Yeah ... more

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 1:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Here's one of my favorite essays on poetry. It's a guy out of Boston who claims to be a " professor" . Of what, I have no idea.

Professor Plum (out of Boston) ,08/16/2006:

" See, when you got words, you got letters put together in a specific order. Sometimes these words are big, and sometimes these words are little, but the letters always stay the same size. Why?You may ask?Have no f*cking clue. That's just the way it's always been.
    Now, sometimes the words rhyme, and sometimes they don't. Doesn't matter which way you do it, just pick the right word and you'll be okay. Try and use colorful words like 'purple' or 'flower' and this will make your poem better. DO NOT talk about how you feel, like maybe you're depressed or something. DO NOT do that or people will hate you and so will I. And, if you speak a different language than most of your potential readers, DO NOT attempt to write poetry at all. Just forget it. Play a piano or something. The test to show if you should write poetry or not is: if you leave out crucial words when you write, or use words that don't make sense, DON'T attempt poetry. Now, someone go buy me a beer."

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

OK Lamonty, this is long so I'll post as a reply.:

• Dan Reynolds Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 7:51:00 AM) Post reply

Interior Music Interior Music The poetry of the plainspoken. by Clive James An unusually successful example of that most easily mangled of verse genres, the philosophical disquisition made fully po ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/16/2014 11:53:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

A quote from one of my favorite critics and thinkers on poetry. Post your own favorite quotes. Its fun. -LP

'Surely we read poetry because it gives us a sense of the depths of language, meaning nudging meaning, then darting away, down to the unfathomed and muddy bottom. Critics, generations of critics, have devoted themselves to revealing how those words work, to showing that each sense depends on other senses. Not every poem has to be as devious and shimmering as Shakespeare (there is room for plain speaking, too) : but the best poetry depends on the subtlety and suggestiveness of its language. If we demand that poetry be so plain that plain readers can drink it the whole plain day, we will have lost whatever makes poetry poetry. (This plainest of plain poetry often goes, “Once upon a time, blah, blah, blah... ha! ha! ha! ”) It’s curious that complex or difficult poets of the previous generation, Robert Lowell and Anthony Hecht and Richard Wilbur, are still praised for the elegance and intransigence of their words, while young poets are told, in not so many words, that subtlety is old fashioned.' - William Logan

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 8:41:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Logan, here, is not referring to meter and rhyme at all. He's speaking specifically about language. He seems to be saying that, while there's a place for the plain style, there's such a thing as being ... more

• Jefferson Carter Rookie - 1st Stage (9/17/2014 12:37:00 AM) Post reply

What a shallow ass! What makes poetry poetry? Or more precisely, what makes good verse? Willie L. would probably say rhyme and meter, since he's so stuck on Wilbur and Hecht. He admits " There ... more

• Frank Avon Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/16/2014 6:37:00 PM) Post reply

We are asked to post our favorite poems and our favorite poets on PoemHunter. What I would like to see are some of your favorite anthologies. I'll begin with just four of mine:

Brinnin, John Malcolm and others, eds. The modern poets an American-British anthology

Collins, Billy Poetry 180: a turning back to poetry

Janeczko, Paul B. Strings: a gathering of family poems

Miller, E. Ethelbert In search of color everywhere: a collection of African-American poetry

• ... Dog God 8hate Rookie - 1st Stage (9/16/2014 9:17:00 AM) Post reply

. . . . Your Party

yes ... (please observe!) ...

i wish i could attend ...
    alas! a strenuous distance
    forbids, a disabling factor
    for a ... disabled shoe?
    i wear boots! But contingent on
    where worn ...
    this execrated traveler, an
    impeded chattel ...
    so subject ... so imposed
    of they so imperious ...
    they so masked in their
    invisible, non approachable
    lair... they, those stealthy,
    deceitful, but guileless ...

gods

.Y.

• Abekah Emmanuel Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/15/2014 1:43:00 PM) Post reply

Let me express my sincerest gratitude to all senior hunters who have been reading my poems with much attention. Thank you all.

• Mohammad Skati Veteran Poet - 3rd Stage (9/15/2014 12:36:00 PM) Post reply

I would like the other members to share discussing a certain topic in poetry like love, peace, ..., in detail about a certain poet or poets. Thanks.

• Nicole Binder Rookie - 1st Stage (9/14/2014 8:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hello! I am in search of Maya Angelou reciting her poem " I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" ?I heard a snippet of it on the news but have no found the full version of here actually reciting it. Thanks for your help!

• John Westlake Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/17/2014 6:59:00 PM) Post reply

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/i-know-why-the-caged-bird-sings. If you can clear the stupid advert then you can hear the whole poem. Am not sure if it is her reciting it or someone else, but it is a ... more

• Okunuga Olanreywaju Rookie - 1st Stage (9/14/2014 1:32:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Please everybody I need your comment about my poem am new in this website please encounrage me by reading my poem and tell me what you see

• Frank Ovid Rookie - 1st Stage (9/15/2014 10:30:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Pace yourself Westlake. Ease it down to 500-600 per day. You'll get there.

• John Westlake Freshman - 2nd Stage (9/14/2014 11:55:00 PM) Post reply

I will be reading your work soon enough. Am wading through mountains, but I will reach you. Please be patient

[Hata Bildir]