Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

• Aftab Alam Khursheed (8/29/2014 11:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Ancient Mariner is a poem about French revolution in which STC and WW both took part..Seeing the end disgusted with he penned the poem When Albatross was depicted as good omen means Revolution was fair when Albatross became evil omen revolution gone out the track and WW back to Tin tern Abbey..STC has the peculiarity in Cryptic symbolism go through Kublai Khan- It was dream- Cryptic - - request from Members to comment and make literature more interesting for them those are the student of the language...thank you

Replies for this message:
    • Peter Stavropoulos (8/30/2014 2:46:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hi Aftab, I found your post hard to follow. It might be a very interesting post. Could you please elaborate in clear English. Thank you.

• Adam M. Snow (8/29/2014 4:19:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I have found one of my earliest poems that I have written back before I knew what real poetry was. I was never taught how to write poetry in school, not even in high school. I had to teach myself. This poem I wrote when I was a freshman in high school. I do have to admit, this poem was bad. I do have to say that I've learned a lot over the years and my poetry has grown a whole lot better. To get an idea to where I started off at, here is that terrible poem of mine. I just wish my school would've taught me poetry, but because I was in special ed, they kept telling me that it was too advanced for me. I had to teach myself poetry because my school wouldn't. This isn't my very first poem, but it's one of them.

Blood on the Floor
    By: Adam Snow

Do you see the blood on the floor?
    Do you see the blood on my hands?

What have I done?I am slowly dieing
    and I can't stop it. What was I thinking?

Than I remember the pain my abusive
    parents has put upon me.

" Was there something else that I could've done?
    Instead of killing myself?"  I cried out.

Than a bright light appear and a voice called
    out to me, " Young child I'm hear to tell you that
    someone loves you, that it is not to late to call his name
    and ask him to forgive you."

It was an angel. I did what she said. I cried out, " Jesus."
    I cried out his name again, " Jesus I'm sorry,
    please forgive me father."

After I said that prayer, I saw a bright light.
    It was heaven. I then know now that
    I was in a better place.

• Peter Stavropoulos (8/29/2014 9:58:00 PM) Post reply Stage

It's hard to go past what you're saying in the poem. The experience you had. I hope your life is much happier now. For me, my wife and daughters are my lifeline. I hope you have some good people in yo ... more

• Mohammad Skati (8/29/2014 8:46:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

I suggest studying William Shakespeare and his great works especially his sonnets, so we all can benefit.

• John Westlake (8/30/2014 2:38:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Shakespeare is a good start, but don't forget people like Wordsworth or Shelley. There is much to be gleaned from the long gone poets if you have the patience

• Peter Stavropoulos (8/29/2014 4:25:00 PM) Post reply Stage

" Suggest" is a better word than " want" . You assume we haven't read Shakespeare, why?

• Pranab K Chakraborty (8/29/2014 8:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Poetry is a diplomatic trap to catch human by a superhuman state of thinking. Supra-conscious strategy of hacking human mind.

• Frank Ovid (8/29/2014 8:24:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I want my poetry to be like a serial killer with a hatchet, hacking the human mind. Some have told me it does. That's a compliment.

• John Westlake (8/29/2014 7:31:00 PM) Post reply Stage

An interesting theory. Not one I can agree with straight up. When I write, I do so because I want to. I never have considered using my poetry as a weapon. If there are people out there who would, ... more

• Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip (8/29/2014 7:37:00 AM) Post reply | Read 4 replies Stage

Poetry is an art of Psychological science, and deep meditation to look inside and out side of every nature both living and non living things as well as universal

• Gajanan Mishra (8/29/2014 7:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

We are reading and reading a poem while the sky is watching us from there. But we care not anybody. We know there is none before us when poem is here. Let us read poem again and see that there is no sky. The sky disappeared fearing the poem. The poem is Supreme and we are composing and reading the poem.

• Gulsher John (8/29/2014 11:44:00 AM) Post reply Stage

ohhh goodness... WtH sky is doing with ur poem? PH please stop this child play of treasure island, every tom and jerry is after it... swooning.

• Abekah Emmanuel (8/29/2014 5:12:00 AM) Post reply Stage

We should take our time and compose heart touching poems to the admiration of humanity. Lets not use this forum to publicize our poems only but our ideas as well. Thank you all and have a nice day.

• Gajanan Mishra (8/28/2014 8:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies Stage

Let us start at every moment everything afresh without any preoccupation. Be careful to the words preconceived and also prejudiced.Be free from all and come to start anew. This is the first stage of poetry. Forget all.

• Mohammad Skati (8/28/2014 4:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

I just read three great poems to a great poetess. This poetess is called " Madeline Sandy " . I want every poet global to read this great poetess on Poemhunter.

• John Westlake (8/28/2014 7:04:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Thank you kindly for the recommendation. I will check out her poems later. It is good to see that there are some poets who are prepared to recommend others.

• Jim Hogg (8/28/2014 12:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 7 replies Stage

A PH member's poem: Nightfishing by Gjertrud Schnackenberg, as a reply

• Jim Hogg (8/29/2014 9:43:00 AM) Post reply Stage

You may be right LP... I've got no proof either way. I only claimed belief, not knowledge - just to be accurate..

• Lamont Palmer (8/29/2014 7:56:00 AM) Post reply Stage

PH was launched, I believe, in 2003. Schnackenberg was already a major voice at that time. Its unlikely she would've joined PH. Why would she?Those three poems of hers were placed there by others, mor ... more

• Jim Hogg (8/29/2014 6:46:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I believe she was a member once... was just dangling a little bait..! ! Seemed too good an opportunity to miss... oh well.. catcher caught! It's a pretty decent poem and only the very brave, arrogant ... more

• Lamont Palmer (8/28/2014 4:10:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Great poem. Rich and full of interesting ... more

• Frank Ovid (8/28/2014 3:34:00 PM) Post reply Stage

This is a fine poem, Jim (it really is, ... more

• Jim Hogg (8/28/2014 12:48:00 PM) Post reply Stage

I know.. it's likely to get some abuse, ... more

• Jim Hogg (8/28/2014 12:47:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Nightfishing The kitchen's old-fashio ... more

[Hata Bildir]