Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • John Kay (11/15/2005 8:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

After my run in with Marcy, I was enjoying the breather; but here I am again, mentioned in a situation I am totally unfamiliar with. The question of criticism of someone else's work continues to raise its head. Many people don't want it, but I depend on it; otherwise, I'd be writing in a void, and Adam's criticism is very honest and fair and welcome. He once told me that there was only one line worth remembering in one of the poems I posted, and maybe he was being kind at that. He was right, and I didn't want to hear it, but that poem is now in the litter basket, where it belongs. My purpose is to write poems that are as near perfect as possible, without distractions, detours or bumps that take the reader out of the flow of the poem. Michael helped me with a recent poem when he said the German in the poem was a distraction. And Jefferson had four suggestions for the same poem, most of which I will incorporate. This is not about my 'precious' self-expression, it is about creating a lasting piece of art, one that can stand on its own and not be embarassing; and suggestions from fellow poets and writing teachers are more than welcome. The website itself encourages this. This is a public forum. That's my two cents.

Replies for this message:
    • Lori Boulard (11/15/2005 9:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

absolutely right, and you know me, John. I invite comments and extended the same invitation to Adam. What upset me was his telling me NOT to offer the same to him, and his assumption that it would a ... more

• Michael Philips (11/15/2005 9:15:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Extremely well said, John. I have received some very helpful constructive criticism on my poems. I have incorporated quite a few of the suggestions I have received. In fact, that's the main reason I ... more

• Lori Boulard (11/15/2005 9:01:00 AM) Post reply

John, please read my comments posted under Adam's. Thanks.

• Max Reif (11/15/2005 7:51:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Which poet said, 'I think, therefore iamb'?

• ***** ***** (11/16/2005 1:57:00 AM) Post reply

I found this reference to it: a corruption of Descartes by way of Shakespeare: I think, therefore, iamb. So I guess old Willie decided a play on French philosophy would be funny - and he was ... more

• Ulrike Gerbig (11/15/2005 11:54:00 PM) Post reply

the french philosopher DESCARTES said this. ulrike

• Marcy Jarvis (11/15/2005 8:28:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Dorothy Parker didn't commit suicide; she died of a heart attack at age 73. She did say, 'I don't care what is written about me, so long as it isn't true, ' though.

• Rookie - 1st Stage Jerry Hughes (11/15/2005 2:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

For those contemplating suicide because of too many limp wristed rejections, here's some very good advice from a most rejected, Dorothy Parker:

RE'SUME'

Razors pain you;
    Rivers are damp;
    Acids stain you;
    And drugs cause cramp.
    Guns aren't lawful;
    Nooses give;
    Gas smells awful;
    You might as well live.

• Max Reif (11/15/2005 7:45:00 AM) Post reply

oddly enough, I think Dorothy Parker wound up committing suicide. But her life was infinitely worthwhile, if only for bringing Mr. Hassler to us.

• Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/15/2005 6:55:00 AM) Post reply

this was the poem that turned me on to Ms. Parker oh, way back when...before i discovered her, i thought poetry was boring as hell.

• Declan McHenry (11/15/2005 4:06:00 AM) Post reply

Well ferreted Jerry. Rejection though can be a most sweet inspiration. It's the dejection I have the trouble with!

• Rookie - 1st Stage Mary Nagy (11/14/2005 8:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Ok, sorry if it's already been said... I may have missed it........ When are we thinking the book will be 'ready to purchase'? Any estimates? I suppose being patient has never been one of my better qualities! :) Thanks, sincerely, Mary

• Lori Boulard (11/14/2005 9:10:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi Mary et al, I'm trying to give everyone till midweek to review, then I'll send out the troops for final signoff on anything 'if'y. The official PDF file should be ready for lulu this weekend, then ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/14/2005 8:19:00 PM) Post reply

Same here, nothing wrong with ME being impatient, Mary. Don't know about you though. Best H And I hope Lori won't forget my bio correction, Mercy notwithstanding

• Rookie - 1st Stage Allan James Saywell (11/14/2005 3:40:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

MORNING ALL, ALL YOURS JUST A LITTLE BIT OF SOUTHERN DRAWL FROM THE DAYS WHEN
    I USED TO WATCH SPAGETTI WESTERNS STARRING CLINT EASTWARD, THE REASON HE USED TO QUINT WAS THE SMOKE FROM HIS WELL CHEWED CIGARETTE USED TO BLOW UP AND INTO HIS EYES THEN HE USED TO SAY (MAKE MY DAY KUNT OR WAS THAT PUNK) IT HAS BEEN A WHILE SAY GOODDAY TO ALL THE CHERRY PICKERS IN THE PADDOCKS AND (GOOD DAY SUNSHINE)

• Declan McHenry (11/14/2005 5:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Allan, I though I would just say I absolutely loved your collection of lines entitled 'The Merit of Having a Gun Licence.' I thought you handled the subject matter beautifully dealing with a important ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Michael Shepherd (11/14/2005 4:12:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hey guys, don't miss Graham Leese's message double-tacked to my 'a propos' post, that he's eager to spearhead a 'younger poets' anthology some time soon.

• Allan James Saywell (11/14/2005 3:52:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

YES I'M INTERESTED IN SUBMITTING TO THE YOUNG PEOPLES BOOK YOU JUST HAVE TO LET ME KNOW WHO'S RUNNING THE JOLLY SHOW AND I WILL GIVE YOU A COUPLE OF MY PIMPLE POEMS FOR THE YOUNG PEOPLE SOME OF MY KIS ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage ***** ********* (11/14/2005 3:38:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

I have a Stalker Called Poetry Bound. He has followed me through two other sites. He is a racist, and a nutter. He tried to access my account at another site and we have his ISP Address. He is leaving comments on my work here today. This is for you Coward.

Practice makes Perfect.

Being obnoxious is incredibly toxious.
    It takes years and years of practice.

Practice makes perfect you see?

I am nice. I am sweet. I am honest
    And discreet.

I can see through walls.
    I defend my principles.

I stand up against bullies
    Who are nothing but obnoxious fools.

Who will do anything to win.
    Who know no rules.

I will never back down to a coward.
    I am Tai Chi Italy. Prepare bully!

To bow down at my feet. Prepare bully!
    for this, your ultimate defeat.

PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF THIS LOSER FOLKS

He won't be around for long though!

Tai, just try me you punk!

• Allan James Saywell (11/14/2005 3:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

IT WAS HIS NAME I FOUND OFFENSIVE 'POETRY BOUNDER' SOUNDS LIKE A DOG RUNNING THROUGH THE MOORS I JUST WISH PEOPLE LIKE HIM WOULD GO BACK TO WATCHING HORROR MOVIES ALL DAY AND LET PEOPLE GET ON WITH T ... more

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/14/2005 3:54:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If it looks like a ****, acts like a ****, smells like a **** it probably is ****. He won't leave so soon as he's never left before. You are on your own here Tai, a church is only as clean as the fi ... more

• Rookie - 1st Stage Allan James Saywell (11/13/2005 6:30:00 PM) Post reply

I have asked the Chinese to send me a couple of hundred thousand rickshaws
    to send to ireland to replace the wheelbarrows in belfast, also a hundred thousand chinese with a sense of direction to pull the rickshaws-TAXI

• Rookie - 1st Stage Allan James Saywell (11/13/2005 6:22:00 PM) Post reply

THAT LITTLE GREEN iRISH HALLOWEEN ON MY TOOLBAH IS STARTING TO PISS ME OFF
    IF HE WASN'T GREEN I WOULD BE ALRIGHT WITH HIM AND IF HE WAS MUTE THAT WOULD BE BETTER STILL--HAPPY HALLOWEEN

• Rookie - 1st Stage allan james saywell (11/13/2005 5:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

i think i will have a holiday, i will go to yorkshire have a holliday on the moors feel the wind blowing on my fine coates of hairs feel the wind blow up
    my Kilt making me feel alive again

[Hata Bildir]