flooded trenches holding 'them' at bay;
    life or death a coin's flippant toss-up;
    deafening shellfire near by night and day -

for us, these horrors now are others' lives,
    impossible to truly comprehend;
    yet in my own mind's state, I recognise
    these battles are still raging without end:

the mud, the clung-to life, the enemy
    imagined - these, we strive still to invent.

Their thoughts, at death's door, lost to memory:
    'I love you...' - gone, a family's content.

We owe to them to live a life of love
    as if we were transfused from their own blood

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/11/2005 10:42:00 AM) Post reply

I would say that this poem's weakness is its sincerity - like so many WW1 poems, there are things hurting to be said which obstruct the technical brilliance we find - amazingly - in Owen, Sassoon, and ... more

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/11/2005 7:55:00 AM) Post reply

sorry if I'm behind on the discussion, but WHO WROTE THIS? ? I must know; it's brilliant! Btw, if it's Emily D. I'll never hear the end of it.

• Rookie Mary Nagy (11/11/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

Does anyone have an 'estimate' on how long until the 'anthology' is ready to purchase? Yes, I know it hasn't been 'in the works' long.... I'm just curious what is a realistic amount of time we're talking about. days? weeks? months? :) Thanks, Mary

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/11/2005 4:53:00 AM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

'After Apple Picking' is surely Frost's equivalent of Prospero's (Shakespeare's) farewell to his art in 'The Tempest', and reading the two poems/passages together enhances appreciation, imho, of both poets, and of poetry in general.
    Interesting how the explanations of poems are always longer than the poems!

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/11/2005 6:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Laura, I'm not a poetry or EngLit teacher any longer, but writing a commentary on your own poem...? ! just DON'T write the commentary first! ! otherwise the poem might have all the sound of a grand pi ... more

• Rookie Max Reif (11/11/2005 5:48:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

PROSPERO'S FAREWELL TO HIS MAGIC from THE TEMPEST by William Shakespeare **** Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin a ... more

• Rookie Laura Cummings (11/11/2005 5:32:00 AM) Post reply

Indeed: -) I have to write a poem for my english school work and the word count for that is considerably less than the amount i have to write for the commentary i have to write for it.

• Rookie - 776 Points Jerry Hughes (11/10/2005 11:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Movers, Thinkers and Shakers. This isn't about 9-11, rather 11-11-11. Here is my humble contribution.

BELLS OF PEACE
    'They will beat their swords into plowshares'
    Isaiah 2: 4

There's been enough killing, God knows.
    Flowers of all nations plucked
    and placed in grievous rows.
    Bells have tolled of death too long.
    Now let them tell of peace.

Resonate throughout the world
    a pealing sweet and clear,
    that all mankind may meet as one.
    In friendship, not in fear.

There's been enough killing, God knows.
    Flowers of all nations plucked...
    and placed in grievous rows.

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/10/2005 8:22:00 PM) Post reply | Read 5 replies

What would be really nice for the Anthology, would be to have a little headshot of each poet on his/her bio page.

• Rookie - 7 Points Marcy Jarvis (11/11/2005 6:26:00 AM) Post reply

I just found out that some people are VERY upset about this idea so I withdraw my suggestion.

• Rookie - 7 Points Mary Nagy (11/10/2005 9:32:00 PM) Post reply

I would just love for everyone here to have a headshot! I still don't know what most people here look like. (even you........only a shadow) :) Although I will say I'm happy to see so many have p ... more

• Rookie - 7 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/10/2005 9:06:00 PM) Post reply

Max, I think it would drive up the cost considerably, plus add all the haircuts, beauty salon visits and mental anguish over how one will look. Best H

• Rookie - 7 Points Allan James Saywell (11/10/2005 8:50:00 PM) Post reply

what about a little bottum shot

• Rookie - 7 Points Max Reif (11/10/2005 8:23:00 PM) Post reply

Any way to do a feasibility study?

• Rookie - 776 Points Jerry Hughes (11/10/2005 5:34:00 PM) Post reply | Read 4 replies

Movers, Those Who Care, and Shakers. Every now and then a poem makes the hair at the back of my head stand up. This beautiful piece by Emily Dickinson, arguably the best lady poet ever, did it to me. Additionally, an adored person makes it even more poignant. Enjoy, already!

It's all I have to bring today,
    This, and my heart beside,
    This, and my heart, and all the fields,
    And all the meadows wide.
    Be sure you count, should I forget, -
    Some one the sum could tell, -
    This, and my heart, and all the bees
    Which in the clover dwell.

• Rookie Daniel Tyler (11/10/2005 3:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

Does anybody like Preludes by TS Eliot. I think it's a vivid description of life for civilians in The Great War.
    'A lonely cab-horse steams and stamps
    And then the lighting of the lamps.'

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 4:05:00 PM) Post reply

I love the way he makes his poetry of successive images. It's not unlike Eisenstein's film 'montage'. I tried to write in this style, of successive images, quite recently, and learned so much.

• Rookie Max Reif (11/10/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply

I'm very fond of that poem. I take it as a kind of model.

• Rookie Ernestine Northover (11/10/2005 3:16:00 PM) Post reply

I have just read this poem Daniel and I loved it. I agree with you its a wonderful picture of those times. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Sincerely Ernestine

• Rookie Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 1:47:00 PM) Post reply

Here to brighten your day is a despatch from li'l ole England...
    Trafalgar Square, repository of Britain's bronzed heroes and statesmen, has long been the haunt of pigeons/tourists/pigeon-food sellers.Symbiotic relationship.
    It has had one empty plinth for years. Boldly, this is now filled with a monumental statue of Alison Lapper, born without arms, and having abandoned her prosthetics, pregnant, nude, and marble. The pigeons have deserted the bronzes and settled for her lap, depositing their critical aesthetic judgment on her instead. A touching story?

• Rookie - 150 Points Poetry Hound (11/10/2005 1:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

I’ve unearthed this fake fraudulent version of John Kay’s infamous email letter to Marcy Jarvis. If anyone has the actual fraudulent version, please post it.

Dear Marcy,
    Why are you so uptight about the constructive comments I leave on people’s poems? Are you upset because I called your poems shallow? Or maybe it was because I called them have-baked, mediocre nothings. Well, whatever it was, you’ve so over-reacted that now you appear to be quite insane. Please stop calling me. With respect, John.

John, How could you say such mean things about Marcy’s poems?

• Rookie - 150 Points Rev. Dr. A. Jacob Hassler (11/11/2005 10:10:00 AM) Post reply

oh, jesus, i'm LMAO over here. stop! stop! please, i'm splitting right up my sides!

• Rookie - 150 Points Herbert Nehrlich1 (11/10/2005 8:04:00 PM) Post reply

My dear Marcy: It is with some trepidation that I am writing to you today. Whenever a fling, and I use the term after some deliberation, whenever a fling such as ours comes to an untimely end it ... more

• Rookie - 150 Points Michael Shepherd (11/10/2005 1:34:00 PM) Post reply

Dear John, 'Have-baked' is a poor translation from the German. 'Half-baked' would be better English. And surely 'mediocre nothings' is an oxymoron ? Yrs, Marcy

• Rookie Lori Boulard (11/10/2005 10:27:00 AM) Post reply | Read 12 replies

Since many 'contributors' are on right now, I'll pose my questions for the day:

- Do you want just the Poet name in the Table of Contents? (If yes, you make my day and I don't have to list every poem, but it's up to you)

- Can I put poet name & country in the bios with their verbage? Do some want city as well, or no location at all? We have a wide range and I think it would be interesting.

- Last one I promise: Is there some central place I can upload the draft document (around 90 pages right now) so everyone can proof their poems? Anyone with a website that will donate some space or something?
    Thanks, Lori

To read all of 12 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]