Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Linda Preston (4/17/2005 5:13:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Did you save me some of that snake roast, Allan? I have been looking forward to it.

• Allan James Saywell (4/17/2005 5:10:00 PM) Post reply Stage

tick tock tick tock tick tock, i'm a clock, what time is it
    its day time, that is why i'm so bright

• Linda Preston (4/17/2005 4:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Anyone, think Seamus Heaney should be knighted for his translation of Beowulf?

• Allan James Saywell (4/17/2005 3:53:00 PM) Post reply Stage

england swings like a pendulum do, remember roger miller
    bobbies ride bicycles two by two
    oh lets go to england

• Linda Preston (4/17/2005 8:41:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Suppose, I would and clocks are always ticking, ticking away our time of course. You can't ever win against them.

• Michael Shepherd (4/17/2005 8:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Me too, Linda. I mean, if you were a clock, wouldn't you feel the same way?

• Linda Preston (4/17/2005 7:54:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Hey, I love Gertrude Stein - 'a clock in the eye ticks in the eye a clock ticks in the eye' - like getting on a merry-go-round and not being able to get off -

• Michael Shepherd (4/17/2005 7:40:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Allan dear child, have you read the green bit above this message? Perhaps your playground is elsewhere? Surely you've read Gertrude Stein: 'Those who care are those who care are those who care for care is care and those who care care for care and those who care for care care.' Doesn't that put it so neatly?

Replies for this message:
    • Katherine Gough (4/17/2005 7:55:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Thankyou so much for your input, any other interpretations you might have would be greatly appreciated! ! !

• Allan James Saywell (4/17/2005 7:29:00 AM) Post reply Stage

WHO REALLY BLOODY CARES ABOUT THIS STUFF YOU DIG UP OUT OF YOUR OLD AUNTS CUPBOARD PRETEND YOU HAVE A GREAT KNOWLEDGE ABOUT IT TRY TO MAKE OUT YOU ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, IT IS BLOODY BORING, PUT YOUR OLD POETRY
    ON THE SITE SO PEOPLE HAVE THE RIGHT TO IGNORE IT, NOT IN THE FORUM YOU
    BLOODY GREAT BORE ANDREW OR MARK OR WAS IT MARY OR WHOEVER YOU ARE

• Michael Shepherd (4/17/2005 7:02:00 AM) Post reply Stage

I would take it that Hesse - the author of the much-loved in the 1960s, 'Siddhartha', is affirming that the poet has sharp observation allied to insight, imagination and vision.
    The last line is the problem. The translation may be the problem also. Anyone here a poet who speaks German (don't all shout at once...) ? Does it follow John Ciardi's distinction - that the poet is garlanded, but people don't remember the man himself? (Well, how about Hesse as the criterion of that? Have you ardent readers of Siddhartha the faintest idea of his dates even?)

[Hata Bildir]