Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/27/2005 7:22:00 AM) Post reply

Adam and poetryhound, would you mind going to the West Australian underground caves, there are millions of litres of fresh water that you could explore.
    You both do bother me.But not excessively so.
    H

• Poetry Hound (3/27/2005 6:53:00 AM) Post reply

Adam, thanks for taking the high road instead of merely feigning to do so. I enjoyed your 'Ben Dover' poems and remember commenting that I thought you chose an unfortunate pen name. Judging by that post of yours about the various poets, you obviously have some knowledge about poetry. Welcome aboard!

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/27/2005 6:45:00 AM) Post reply

Adam (Ben Dover) ,

So the truth is finally revealed! ! Your real name! I would like to congratulate you on your courage. I have not yet convinced myself to do the same. Only because I still wish to keep my poems seperate to my real life.

Anyway, I very much liked the poetry that you posted here in forum.

I look forward to conversing with you here on PH.

Kind regards
    SG

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/27/2005 6:38:00 AM) Post reply

I am ignoring Herbert’s last posting. Not because I agree or disagree but because I was so excited by what was taking place on this forum before hand. We were actually talking about and discussing poetry. It was wonderful? I already have so many questions and answers to add and I hope you don’t all go away before I can reply.

Herbert xxxx for missing you last time and an extra xxxx just for good measure.

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/27/2005 5:21:00 AM) Post reply

Well I see no relevance at all.
    Also, would you please keep the x out of your posts, I was so hoping that only people like Sandra and Gypsy would offer them to me.
    No offense.
    Do you write?
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (3/27/2005 2:57:00 AM) Post reply

How interesting.
    Is it relevant?
    H

• Sylvia Spencer (3/27/2005 12:17:00 AM) Post reply

Dear Gypsy
    I have now read 'Yolanda' what a beautiful poem, I can see where your coming from when your saying favorit poem list, I think I will too. About 'Dogreal' it's a type of poetry that continuesly falls into line with the previous and words can be twisted to suit yourself, which makes it very easy reading. It also has a down side to it. If you fall out of text then the whole poem that you are writing crashes. Then your forever rubbing out to make the lines suit
    So therefore it may take a bit longer to write. I have used this type of writing for years. I dont think critic's like it, mainly the ones that don't write themselves. I can tell you about one critic who never ever put pen to paper, and this is what he said about my poem 'It's ok but 'Tennison' Would roll in his grave if he read it' and then he said ' it's the only poem that he has ever read, that reads to this secqence, DER, DA, DER, DA
    DER, DAR, DAR, DAR, DAR! Then I replied 'well perhaps I should become a song writer instead and join the list of the elite! I do enjoy all poetry including
    classic.

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 10:11:00 PM) Post reply

Hi Sylvia,

Thank you for your reply. I would like to know more about this form of poetry you mention “Dogreal”. Is that an actual term/form? I have not heard of this before.

I have not read Herbert’s “Big Aunt” poem but I am going to take a look now. My favourite poem of Herbert’s so far is “Yolanda”. I just love that one, which reminds me I must add it to “my favourite” list.

Talk soon
    XX
    SG

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 10:07:00 PM) Post reply

Herbert,
    I don’t understand why you said “There isn't much one can do to increase one's 'talent' for writing good poetry”? Surely, there are lots of things a poet can do to improve their work. Such as life experiences, vocabulary, reading etc. etc Your thoughts please sir?

Secret Squirrel
    SG

• Scarborough Gypsy (3/26/2005 10:02:00 PM) Post reply

Dear Anne,

I was also sad to read your comments. As I have said to Herbert, please don’t give up on this site and don’t leave. In fact, I will publicly ask all who are reading this the same. Let’s make this better not worse (by leaving) .

Anne, I have not read any of your work yet but I would like to and would also be more than happy to confer with you. If you have read my previous comments on this forum, you will see that I too am here for the same reasons as yourself and the majority of PH’s members no doubt.

There are lots of good, nice people on here. I have met lots in just one week.

So don’t go just yet. Stick around and see what transpires.

Yours truly,
    SG

[Hata Bildir]