Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Post a message
  • Ulrike Gerbig (4/10/2005 10:25:00 PM) Post reply

good morning!

answer to michael's question from last night: see post under his own post!

have a nice day, all of you!

ulrike

• Allan James Saywell (4/10/2005 9:45:00 PM) Post reply

sonja you wont be remembered as shaking the poetry world, no matter how many scores people give you, so have a cup of tea and relax

• Andrea Wilde (4/10/2005 6:07:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Hi all, new here.
    I am currently writing an essay about Sylvia Plath.Where do i start?

Replies for this message:

To read all of 1 replies click here
  • Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 5:02:00 PM) Post reply

I agree, Allan she does throw around a lot of words, straight from the dictionary. Did you see her comment about Nietzsche...'his character flaws notwithstanding..'. My, I think he was a great guy and would have taken the whip if he had ever had the inclination to visit. The quote is his, not mine.
    For a person so in the middle of academia I wonder why she hasn't learned the difference between it's and its. Probably too busy with poetry.
    Yes Allan, envy is a terrible thing.

• Allan James Saywell (4/10/2005 4:49:00 PM) Post reply

sherrie you dont write poetry you dont have the gift, you are an imposter a fraud
    you come into the forum full of shit, your words mean nothing
    have a cup of tes two sugars to sweeten you up, how much work do you nout
    as your little yorkshire man would say

• His Homeynence Sir Peckerwood Ali (4/10/2005 4:33:00 PM) Post reply

why dear God in heaven
    are they so stubborn?
    and why...do they always need to get in
    the last word?

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 2:16:00 PM) Post reply

Mark, Sandra how far back?

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 2:12:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mark, if I follow you, this theory (which I didn't know of) is similar to the art theory dreamed up at Goldsmiths' College in London - that the artist makes something which he knows less about than the spectator - a theory which could cover anything from divine inspiration to not knowing what the hell you're up to! And of course, there's a grain of truth there, between intention and interpretation.
    But that doesn't answer the straight question, which was first addressed to ulrike, but which I posit as a general question? What's your answer in your own experience?

• long gone (4/10/2005 2:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

I think that it is a little bit of both, Michael. We are, initially, our own readers and critics. We assess what we write (excluding 'automatic writing' or 'spontaneous combustion'as it may be known) ... more

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 1:05:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Ulrike, your clear response raises a very elementary question which seems almost silly to ask: do you/we give any regard to the reader of a poem while we write it? Is there any sort of division between 'expressers' and 'communicators'? Does sincerity cover both aspects? As a lifetime journalist, I've always felt obliged to consider the reader, while remaining true to myself. So it's never raised itself as a question for me. But now it has!

• Ulrike Gerbig (4/10/2005 10:24:00 PM) Post reply

good morning! i went to bed last night having to work this morning...this is why i did not answer... but anyway, although interested in theories of all kind i am not a big friend of general sta ... more

• Michael Shepherd (4/10/2005 12:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Dr Nehrlich,
    For a poet like yourself, rated higher than TSEliot, Auden, Emerson and Alexander Pope, by visitors to this site, it seems to me that calling me a 'rat' in the comment box to my poem 'Self-search' is, how shall I put it, somewhat metaphorically loose in relation to a critique of that poem, for one so highly regarded?

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (4/10/2005 5:12:00 PM) Post reply

Michael, you know very well that the rat comment was not aimed at you. It amazes me how a man of your age and intelligence would deliberately misunderstand something as simple as this. I have not t ... more

To read all of 2 replies click here
[Hata Bildir]