Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mary Nagy Female, 43, United States (3/25/2005 1:33:00 PM)

O.k....that's a little harsh! ! I don't really have anything personally against haiku poetry, I just don't like it when somebody is using your poems to get their poems read. The person that does this does it to many people...I think it is truly annoying but that is just my personal thoughts on his behavior....not necessarily his style of poetry. He has a couple hundred poems///mostly haiku's and he obviously likes to write poetry but....just post your own and don't jump on other peoples coattails... I've never been to Japan or china and have no opinion on either...Sincerely, Mary

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie Peter A. Crowther (3/25/2005 6:00:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

I don't think his poems are strictly haiku. I always understood haiku to be three line poems with the syllable count: 5,7,5. Some of the japanese ones, by e.g. Basho and Issa are gorgeous just capturing the emotion of a single moment.

Replies for this message:
    • Rookie Mary Nagy (3/25/2005 7:37:00 PM) Post reply

Yeah, I agree that some are good...although they do lack the 5,7,5, structure of an actual haiku....He calls them Haiku///not me. Mary

[Hata Bildir]