Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Max Reif Male, 66, United States (7/19/2005 8:57:00 AM)

I notice some of my best poems, or the ones I feel are the best, have no comments and/or low ratings. Yet I still feel they're some of my best. Anyone else have that kind of experience?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Max Reif (7/19/2005 3:29:00 PM) Post reply

Interesting discussion. Thanks, everyone!

• Richard George (7/19/2005 2:58:00 PM) Post reply

Absolutely, Max - one of mine that's in my book Vertigo Swimming and was published in a good place in U.K. small press got 6 marks ALL of 1 out of 10. (I chickened out and deleted it) . Bear in mind, though: 6, or even 60 people are not a critical quorum. It's a very small aggregate of opinion. Keep posting them.

• Casey Rock (7/19/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

I think that many people prefer just to read a poem and move on to the next. I, for one, often feel like reading poetry without dissecting, rating, or passing a judgement on it (at least where everyone can see it) . I'm lazy, too-there are plenty of times when I can't quite manage to post a comment; I try to though...
    and as for the rating thing-I don't think that people take that very seriously.

• Raynette Eitel (7/19/2005 10:36:00 AM) Post reply

I notice the same thing, but that's the beauty of poetry. People gravitate to the poem that describes experiences they have had...or something to laugh about...or some sort of comfort. It is sort of like the blind men and the elephant, I think.

[Hata Bildir]