Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Matthew Pearson Male, 37, United States (8/22/2005 9:33:00 AM)

Hello friends. I have been on a four-day break on the Mississippi with my partner. Very nice it was too. I now feel reinvigorated and ready to open the bottle of truth serum for y'all. The Mississippi. I may grace this site with a few mediocre poems about it. Be grateful. You'll m(d) iss me when I'm gone. I will turn into vapor at the turn of the new year. I am then commissioned to write a new book. I'll take advance orders and insults. Long live the Mississippi and all who sail in her.

M. P.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/23/2005 6:25:00 AM) Post reply

Well I am so sorry that you did not like my Mississippi poem.
    I notice that you re-introduced yourself to the forum after your trip by calling us 'friends'.
    I would have thought that you could resist the juvenile urges of ad hominem attacks on others here. We have had our fair share of those and it accomplished nothing worthwhile.
    I also noticed that you did get your 'little ass spanked by Collette' (I am quoting a poet from the desert here) and I wanted to point out that repeats are likely. So, perhaps you could simmer down, get your dopamine and other hormones under control and contribute to the site.
    Just my thoughts as a well known peacemaker.
    H

• Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/22/2005 10:20:00 PM) Post reply

Well I took the liberty of re-creating the adventures of a couple Northerners on the Mississippi. Hope I got the story factual enough.
    Best wishes
    Herbert Huckleberry

• Max Reif (8/22/2005 12:44:00 PM) Post reply

Ahoy, mate, from a veteran who has sailed the length and breadth of the Mississippi, New Orleans to St. Paul! And a lovely journey it was, too!
    (I worked as a deck hand on towboats for a couple months, quite a few years back) .

• Courtney Kane (8/22/2005 11:18:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

certain excitement we probably can do without.

Replies for this message:
    • Herbert Nehrlich1 (8/22/2005 10:21:00 PM) Post reply

I wrote a poem of mild excitement that we ought to be able to handle. What do you think? H

• Michael Shepherd (8/22/2005 10:49:00 AM) Post reply

Happy New Year, Matt, and is there a difference between writing a 'book' and a 'new book'? (joke) Now you're back in mellow presence, could you do what Poetry Snob has yet to commit to, and name the poets you think most likely to launch 21st century poetry? Be as outspoken as you like hurhur.

[Hata Bildir]