Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Cathy Pinette United States (6/20/2013 6:51:00 PM)

Not really sure where to post this so I will post it here and the mods can move it if necessary.

I have finally reached a point in my life when I have the time and the internet has given me the opportunity to publish my poems that I wrote in the 70's, yes the 1970's. I had many published in Teen magazines and other publications when I was a teenager. I pulled out my notebooks and scraps of paper and started to go through them. I also copied lyrics into these books. So I figured I better check the lyrics and while I was at it I checked for my poems. It is amazing how many of my poems I have found on line, maybe 10 to 15 so far. First I was a tad bit ticked off that people are posting my original writtings as their own (found two on this site so far) and then I got a chuckle out of it as these people are in their late teens and early twenties and wern't even born yet when I wrote them. The could not have possibly written these poems as I have them right here, sitting in note books and scaps of paper with dates from the late 70's and early 80's. I would caution people to not attribute others work as their own. So before you think of doing that, be sure they are your own, and some 52 yr old woman isn't sitting at home with a bunch of notebooks from the 70's with " your" work in them.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (6/22/2013 3:18:00 PM) Post reply Stage

C, there's no gold in them there poetry hills! Protecting your " property" is silly. If someone steals one of my poems, I usallly feel flattered.

[Hata Bildir]