Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (6/24/2013 5:53:00 PM)

Hey, a really nice " review" of my new and selected by a satisfied reader! Forgive my horn-blowing! !

Jefferson - I received my copy of Get Serious, and it simply takes my breath away.

You are an extraordinary poet, and reading these poems en masse is both stimulating and exciting. While your subjects are not always ones I would choose to read or write about, they are nevertheless compelling, and I wanted to read every single one - and did! On top of that, the collection reflects a good mind at work, an energy that can hardly be contained, a sense of irony that insists upon being discovered, and a tenderness that lurks beneath the surface. When I finished reading the book, my first reaction was: this is a poet who has a lot more to say - so i hope you will keep at it! Congratulations!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• S. A. S. (6/26/2013 8:35:00 PM) Post reply

JC, I agree with you that the best line concerns " irony that insists upon being discovered" and " a tenderness that lurks beneath the surface." I also like " this is a poet who has a lot more to say, " and I'm sure your next poems will be as compelling as the poems in GET SERIOUS.
    I think it's great that a reader took the time to send you this compliment. It's meant as a compliment and not a critique-
    When I read your work, the first word that comes to mind is original. Also, an overused word, but an overused word can be completely sincere.

• Mary Morstan (6/25/2013 4:09:00 AM) Post reply

Nothing wrong with a happy dance. Congrats.

• Lamont Palmer (6/24/2013 7:16:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Nice. But I bet every competent poet reading my words right now has been called 'extraordinary' at one time or another.. There's no real accounting for taste. There are people who think Bukowski is absolutely brilliant. Was he really?I don't think so. Oprah thinks Maya Angelou is 'extraordinary'. Is she?Not in my book. So all you can do is be happy someone enjoys your work, and not get too preoccupied with 'praise'. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (6/24/2013 9:37:00 PM) Post reply | Read 3 replies

True, Monty. But I am REALLY pleased someone liked my poems that much, even just one person. You're right, though, extraordinary is just another of the many cheap words you find in any blurb on any ... more

[Hata Bildir]