Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (7/4/2013 7:48:00 AM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

You're right buddy. You know me well, as I know you. Yes, Joyce's 'prose' is actually poetry and is quite the exception. Also the 'prose' of Woolf falls into that category. Even some of Faulkner's work can be considered highly poetic prose, right on the edge of poetry. But again, these are unique exceptions. Ninety-nine percent of the prose written, even if written extremely well, is matter-of-factly and expository, and looks vastly different from GOOD poetry. The real irony is, most novelist are trying to get as 'poetic' as they can in their work, while a lot of 'poets' try to strip their work of anything remotely resembling the characteristics of strong poetry. Joyce's prose beats, for example, Levine's and Hoagland's lackluster monologues on any day. Reading these excerpts will send me to my copy of 'Wake' for an infusion of some really inventive thinking. -LP

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Lamont Palmer (7/4/2013 9:51:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Was he a masochist who hated praise?Thats the only way he wouldn't like that comment. -LP

• Mary Morstan (7/4/2013 8:16:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Joyce would cut you into little pieces and eat you for dinner for that comment...

[Hata Bildir]