Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mary Morstan Female, 54, New Zealand (7/5/2013 5:58:00 PM)

NEITHER

to and fro in shadow from inner to outer shadow
from impenetrable self to impenetrable unself
by way of neither
as between two lit refuges whose doors once
neared gently close, once away turned from
gently part again
beckoned back and forth and turned away
heedless of the way, intent on the one gleam
or the other
unheard footfalls only sound
till at last halt for good, absent for good
from self and other
then no sound
then gently light unfading on that unheeded
neither
unspeakable home

Samuel Beckett

*Original of " Neither" (1976) . It appears here as a poem but Beckett later thought of it as a short story and didn't include it in his Collected Poems.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• S. A. S. (7/7/2013 5:47:00 PM) Post reply

I like listening to this. It reads really well- no awkwardness- it has its own footfall.
    After reading your posts, I went online to find some Beckett. His copyrights must keep a lot off-line, but he's so bleak I don't know if I could ever call him a favorite. I ended up reading some Frank O'Hara to feel better. You have to love a poet who can work jujubes and dingleberries into a poem...

• Jefferson Carter (7/6/2013 1:51:00 PM) Post reply

A short story? What the hell???

[Hata Bildir]