Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Gulsher John Gulsher John Male, 69, Pakistan (7/18/2013 3:30:00 AM)

Breaking Grammar Rules in " Poetry Writing"
(by Melissa Donovan)

Accomplished writers respect the rules of grammar the way an Acrobat respects the tightrope — grammar might be intimidating and complicated, but we need it in order to perform.
Grammar rules lend structure and clarity to our writing and gives us common ground rules that we can use to communicate clearly and effectively, just like the tightrope gives the acrobat a foundation upon which to walk.
Many poets demonstrate grammatical expertise, neatly parking periods and commas in their designated spaces and paying homage to proper capitalization.

Writing Poetry Without Grammar Rules..............

Poets don’t always follow the rules, which is why poetry is attractive to writers who are especially creative, rebellious, and enjoy coloring outside the lines.
Grammar rules, particularly spelling and punctuation, are nothing more than a creative tool for many poets who choose to dismiss these rules altogether or use the them to decorate and add aesthetic elements to a poem.
Many poets have skirted grammar with great success. Many more have failed.

Poetry Writing:
Where Rules and Creativity Cooperate or Collide............

As the poetry canon grows beyond measure, poets increasingly reach for creative devices to make their work stand out.
Toying with grammar rules is one such device, but it is not something that can be approached carelessly. If you choose to forgo the rules because you don’t know them rather than as a creative technique, your lack of knowledge will show and the poem will present as amateurish. Of course, that’s true for all types of writing: learn the rules, and only after you have learned them, go ahead and break them.
I salute anyone who breaks the rules in the interest of art and great poetry writing just as much as I admire poets who craft meter and verse within the confines of grammar. So for this language-loving poet, either way is the right way. Walk the tight rope or jump from it and see if you can fly.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Greg Davidson (7/19/2013 8:22:00 PM) Post reply Stage

Well put GJ.
    When discussing music with a musician friend many years ago we were discussing musicians who " broke the rules" . My friend explained that the musicians who were best at extemporising were those who knew and respected the " rules. This knowledge and respect allowed them a greater insight into which rules could be broken and when in order to produce the most pleasing outcome for their creativity. I feel grammar should be treated the same way.

[Hata Bildir]