Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (8/7/2013 9:38:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Mary, I agree with you. As long as the youngsters posting here want something more than a kiss on the butt, I'm with you. I taught twenty-somethings for years and never had to deal with the kind of proud ignorance I see on this site all the time. I suppose one difference is that my students took the class to learn; they were receptive to and even grateful for criticism. Here, the slightest hint of criticism, and the little darlings go ballistic!

I assume (presume) if someone posts a poem, he/she wants a critique, even if it's negative. Someone who posts " read my poems! read my poems! " five times on the forum, I'm going to read his poems and give him my opinion. If he can't handle it, he shouldn't be posting. It isn't easy being young, I know. It's also not easy reading bad poetry and saying nothing. Your point about messaging privately is a good one though. Maybe I'll do that in the future.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mary Morstan (8/8/2013 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Jefferson, go and write your own poetry (if you're like me, you post on here when the well is temporarily dry) . Or go for a walk - and accidentally elbow all those unattractive people on the street whom you don't like the look of....: -) I'm going to see if I can find what I wrote when I was 16. I have a few somewhere and if I find them I'll post on here. It would be fun if others did the same.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (8/8/2013 10:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Mary, how weird! I didn't start writing seriously (that is, send poems out to journals—no internet at the time-or show them to friends) until 1970, when I was 28! I waited until then because I was ... more

[Hata Bildir]