Post more comments
Want a gift card for being active Forum member? Post comments and win $25 gift card every week.
Rules:
PoemHunter.com will be giving away Amazon.com gift cards (worth $75 in total) every week to first three members ($25 each) who participate most in our forum discussions. You just have to post comments on forum pages, poet pages or poem pages anywhere inside PoemHunter.com
Comments posted needs to be in different pages. Posting more than 1 comment on the same page will only be counted once.
Members can not post comments without being logged in.
PoemHunter.com has the right to cancel or edit this contest.
PoemHunter.com has a right to disqualify or ban member(s) without providing any type of reason, belief or proof in regards to any type of illegal activity or fraud.

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (8/7/2013 9:38:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

Mary, I agree with you. As long as the youngsters posting here want something more than a kiss on the butt, I'm with you. I taught twenty-somethings for years and never had to deal with the kind of proud ignorance I see on this site all the time. I suppose one difference is that my students took the class to learn; they were receptive to and even grateful for criticism. Here, the slightest hint of criticism, and the little darlings go ballistic!

I assume (presume) if someone posts a poem, he/she wants a critique, even if it's negative. Someone who posts " read my poems! read my poems! " five times on the forum, I'm going to read his poems and give him my opinion. If he can't handle it, he shouldn't be posting. It isn't easy being young, I know. It's also not easy reading bad poetry and saying nothing. Your point about messaging privately is a good one though. Maybe I'll do that in the future.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mary Morstan (8/8/2013 6:04:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jefferson, go and write your own poetry (if you're like me, you post on here when the well is temporarily dry) . Or go for a walk - and accidentally elbow all those unattractive people on the street whom you don't like the look of....: -) I'm going to see if I can find what I wrote when I was 16. I have a few somewhere and if I find them I'll post on here. It would be fun if others did the same.

Replies for this message:
    • Jefferson Carter (8/8/2013 10:35:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Mary, how weird! I didn't start writing seriously (that is, send poems out to journals—no internet at the time-or show them to friends) until 1970, when I was 28! I waited until then because I was ... more

[Hata Bildir]