Post more comments

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Isaac Dutton Isaac Dutton Male, 28, United States (8/27/2013 11:22:00 AM)

Hello fellow bards!

So I have been writing sense I was a child. Mostly for school, or I would give poems or stories to friend and family as gifts. Most of the time I never really recorded these poems out side of that gift or school assignment. At one time I wanted to be a writer but people told me it was really hard to make a living as a writer and that I should stick to my talent which is computers.

So as time went I went through the hoops and did indeed become a computer engineer. I put down my pen and for many years never scrawled a single thing. At times I would still text the random poem to a friend to make them feel better or as a birthday gift or something...

Lately though I have found my self wishing to write stuff for the public to enjoy. Now I still have no delusions of being a writer of any sorts. I understand its even harder these days to make money off of poetry.

What I do wish though is for some like minded people to maybe look over my work and offer pointers and critique. I am really just looking to become a better writer and maybe hope that some one will be able to take a message from my poems.

So if any of you are not to busy and wish to read over some of my works and just send me a message with your thoughts on how you think I could grow as a writer and what you like/dislike about my poems that would be awesome....

Just as a disclaimer I am not looking for hits, or ratings, or anything like that... so please don't think I am fishing. I just do not know any other ways to go about getting people to read your work other then walking up to them and showing them it....

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Isaac Dutton (8/27/2013 4:43:00 PM) Post reply

Thank you guys for your advice! In my defense I do read.. A lot. Not a lot of poetry but I also do not call my self a writer.

I feel like ripping my grammar apart was a little harsh, I do struggle with it though.

Thanks a lot for the advice and help!

• Jefferson Carter (8/27/2013 12:43:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Issac, I've read your " poetic paragraphs" (my term for prose poems) and sent you a private message. Of course, it's my habitual message to all aspiring poets—you can't improve or even write good work in a vacuum. You need to immerse yourself in the best contemporary poetry.

Replies for this message:
    • Lamont Palmer (8/28/2013 7:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Poetry must be the only craft where a lack of knowledge and experience is worn as a badge of honor; conversely, appearing to know the craft very well and to be learned is thought to be arrogant and 'e ... more

[Hata Bildir]