Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Dan Reynolds Male, 55, United Kingdom (10/18/2013 12:26:00 PM)

Hypothetically speaking, imagine this....
If the greatest poem ever written, was scribed in an ancient language, no longer spoken.
The poem was found and translated into English, (or any other language) , whereupon, it was found that, purely by accident, it rhymed.
Would the poem be any less effective for its rhymes, would they embellish and enhance the existing masterpiece,
or would they detract and spoil the original?

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Gulsher John (10/18/2013 10:04:00 PM) Post reply Stage

JC, do u think that 'languages' (in its origional form) could be translated into other language?
    And i think " Poetry" is the most complex and irritated of all human faculties to be translated verbatim.it's a Gordian knot.
    POETRY is backed by CULTURE, and every culture evolved differently.i.e in time and space

• Jefferson Carter (10/18/2013 3:38:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

H, what do you mean " whereupon it was found that, purely by accident, it rhymed" ? If the original were written in rhyme (which would be probable since most early poetry was meant to be recited and rhyme (or other formal devices) was an aide to memory) , the challenge for the translator would be to compose a good poem in ENGLISH; the best translations I've read of any language into English avoid the strait-jacket of form and focus instead on powerfully equivalent diction, figures of speech and tone. The worst translations reproduce the formal aspects of the original. When form deforms, it should be jettisoned.

• Dan Reynolds (10/18/2013 5:13:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

JC, I thought I made it clear, but I'll expand. Let's consider that the original poem did NOT rhyme. The translator did nothing but translate, ver batim. The rhymes were never intended by the author. ... more

• Steven Ralph (10/18/2013 2:46:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Enhance. I think when a poem is rhymed with skill and subtlety it enhances the beauty and rhythm of it. If it's not done skillfully however, it has the opposite effect. 'Ode on a Grecian Urn' would be an example of the former.

• Dan Reynolds (10/18/2013 5:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

Welcome to the forum Scotty. You have now expressed an opinion which will either bond or separate you from those you have already communicated with. Irrespective of how that pans out, your opinion is ... more

[Hata Bildir]