Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Dan Reynolds Male, 55, United Kingdom (10/18/2013 5:13:00 PM)

(This massage was posted as a reply to that message)

JC, I thought I made it clear, but I'll expand. Let's consider that the original poem did NOT rhyme. The translator did nothing but translate, ver batim. The rhymes were never intended by the author. Now, think about the question again. Hypothetically, we have the ultimate poem, which happens to rhyme in another language(s)

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Jefferson Carter (10/18/2013 8:51:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Well, Hola-hola, that would be impossible, a non-rhyming poem (I'm assuming you mean not just one or two words that end each line, but ALL of them) that, when translated verbatim into English, rhymes in a consistent fashion? If it did happen, and a good poet fluent in both languages felt the translation seemed stiff and contrived while the original poem didn't, the poet would probably try to make a free verse version that kept the most important features of the great original, its tone, its images, its diction. The aim of translating is to make the best English (or whatever language) poem possible.

Replies for this message:
    • Gulsher John (10/18/2013 10:01:00 PM) Post reply

JC, do u think that 'languages' (in its origional form) could be translated into other language? And i think " Poetry" is the most complex and irritated of all human faculties to be trans ... more

[Hata Bildir]