Learn More

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mike Acker Mike Acker Male, 60, Canada (10/18/2013 7:56:00 PM)

What is more important for a poet? To receive praise, which is no guarantee for great poetry, or to feel that a genuine human emotion was expressed as well and as honestly as possible for that poet? Just thinking, what if, what I write is applauded by the " experts" but, I simply wrote to please or wrote for the " experts" ? I don't know if this is true but I remember reading somewhere that no serious critic ever wanted to go near any of Charles Bukowski's poems until recently. Now, of course, he is considered, at least on this site, to be one of the 10 greatest poets. Go figure.......

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Freshman - 1,020 Points Peter Stavropoulos (10/19/2013 5:36:00 AM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Bukowski was a genius.

• Rookie - 592 Points Jefferson Carter (10/19/2013 1:56:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

PH might consider Buk one of the 10 greatest poets, but that's because this is such a lame siteā€”the opinion of rank amateurs is worthless! I don't know any respectable critic who thinks Buk is a great or even especially good poet. He's not very skilled, and his pose as a working-class hero is both manipulative and tiresome. He IS prolific, but so is an unspayed alley cat.

Don't ever write to please anyone but yourself, the self that is an educated READER., not the self who's a writer. In the heat of composition, judge nothing, but when you revise and shape the material, separate yourself from the author and cast a cold eye on your lines as a demanding reader; you may just write a good poem.

• Rookie - 592 Points Scotty Dogg (10/19/2013 11:13:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Jeff, are you saying amateurs shouldn't have an opinion about poetry?We're the ones who buy the books. I think our opinion does matter, or at least it's not 'worthless'. Otherwise, poetry would only b ... more

• Rookie - 592 Points Mike Acker (10/19/2013 2:31:00 AM) Post reply

well put....The reason I brought up Bukowski is a member, Sherrie Kolb, mentioned him as her favourite of all time. I understood that and when then went to seriously look at her work I was a bit disa ... more

• Rookie - 919 Points Gulsher John (10/18/2013 9:36:00 PM) Post reply

Agree Mike...but u know with" time" things change, so the poetry too,
    If you remeber the history, man started it with hymne, folks, ballads, romances. i.e. a drama of life
    But gradullay we driftted away from such utopian themes.
    First we wrote it with Heart but now write with Mind,
    First we sung it, now we paint it.
    Blank verse, heroic couplet, rhyming turnes into Free Verse... prose-poetry etc
    Drama changed into movie
    One act playes transformed into long serials.
    Definitely it effected our tast too regarding Art and literarute.
    anyway you have pointed out a good question.

• Rookie - 72 Points Scotty Dogg (10/18/2013 9:11:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Big mistake thinking poetry is 'a genuine human emotion'. Poetry is about words and descriptions. Emotions generally bog a poem down. Try getting rid of the emotion and figure out a unique way to describe some life situation. The situation can be emotional, but the description of it should not be.

• Rookie - 72 Points Mike Acker (10/18/2013 9:47:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Interesting point of view. I disagree though. Without the heart(genuine human emotion put in words) what you end up with is an intellectual exercise or put more bluntly intellectual masturbation. ... more

• Rookie - 72 Points Scotty Dogg (10/18/2013 9:05:00 PM) Post reply

I like Chinaski's prose much better than his poetry. That's just me though. The poetry is overrated. Again, I'm not an expert though.

[Hata Bildir]