Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/19/2013 8:14:00 PM)

I've been unfriended on Facebook for dissing Bukowski! I don't hate his work. Some of it (like " Dummy" ;) is entertaining and funny. I just don't think he's skillful with such
poetic devices as line breaks and imagery and figures of speech. His subject matter (whores, class warfare, drinking, being a barfly) is what attracts his readers, but even that begins to bore after a while. On a scale of 1 (abysmal) to 10 (immortally great) , I'd rate his most of his work as a 5 or 6, competent. Of course, to my way of thinking, once we agree a poem is at least a 5, how much you like it (a 6 or even 7) is up to your personal tastes. See Sherrie Kolb's comments.

My comment that amateurs' opinions are worthless needs nuancing; the amateurs I'm spanking are those " poets" who have never having taken a poetry or literature class, haven't read any poems written after 1960, and are only vaguely acquainted with earlier poetry, the ones who don't read poems but attempt to write them. " Amateurs" isn't the word for them; you don't have to be a professional to be a good poet. I call them poet wannabes.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• ... Dog God 8hate Rookie - 1st Stage (10/20/2013 1:12:00 AM) Post reply

&

siR... Facebook offers (that) variety - foible to fetch, scanty to...
    and then... even those far-reaching minds that revel in justice.
    I lost one of those/the - pedantic - fatheads whom incited my
    acumen to a fervent... tit for tat... my duly spiked chide chastened
    beyond hiS composure's confines. hE... scratched Me from hiS
    list. I knew Charles Bukowski from LA...
    I too know the recoil that
    concurs an unjust flout...
    one dat puts matter o'er mind
    lacking the true-humanity...
    for what's... a deserved... tout....

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (10/19/2013 10:28:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Actually some of Buk's earlier work is interesting, when he actually cared about writing good poetry. But when he saw his more dashed-off, dirtier stuff gaining in popularity, he was wooed into becoming a lazy poet. He wrote a piece once that told young poets not to 'try'. That became his mantra. As far as my interest in him, he's a hoot to read, but when I discovered James Merrill, that blew Buk out of the water for me entirely. -LP

Replies for this message:
    • Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (10/19/2013 11:08:00 PM) Post reply

Buk seems " a pulp poet" arousing wild insticnt, best for the old pulp magazine late 19c.(after reading very little of him) Din't he try to imitate the great H. Lawrance.?

[Hata Bildir]