Members Who Read Most Number Of Poems

Live Scores

Click here to see the rest of the list

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mike Acker Mike Acker Male, 60, Canada (10/20/2013 1:12:00 PM)

Thank you everyone for your responses. When I was living in Los Angeles back in '75-'88, especially in the late '70s Bukowski was every alcoholic intellectual's hero. I have always had an affinity to his " message" but because I was never alcoholic did not go crazy over his work. One important thing to note is that none of his work lacked honesty or passion. These two ingredients are in my opinion crucial to the survival of a poem.

I find myself in a dilemma in the sense that I am recognizing, with the help of some of your harsh but possibly valid critiques here, haw far I still have to go to call my self even an aspiring poet let alone a poet.

So, before I ask the question I should say that you love to write, you do not lack passion in what your write, you write honestly and from the heart, but somehow have not grasped that mysterious ability to write in the new expected and widely accepted format. You have read many anthologies on poetry especially North American and English poetry both contemporary and classical. You are committed to continue to read any and all literature on poetry, as you enjoy it, You are not stubborn and you are not offended by the most negative of critiques and are able to still see some talent and potential in your writing. Other facts are that you you will not enroll in university or college to study poetry and you have only been writing for less than a year and a half.
The question is do you give up and become a plumber(not that there is anything wrong with that) or do you persevere and push on and modify your style to be more accepted(possibly losing the honesty and passion for accepted style) or do you simply educate yourself more in terms of reading a lot of poetry and stubbornly clutching to your core style? I am slowly beginning to realize that no one can really tell us whether we are talented or not. The talent it seems to me now, will end up being a product of hard work and perseverance. But i could be wrong!

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mike Acker (10/20/2013 8:23:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Sorry, Lamont, I should have made myself more clear. The plumber part was more about giving up on writing if I can determine that I have no talent. Not meant to say that I expected to make money through my poetry. I don't care about making money through poetry and I have never written with any type of accolade in mind. My bottom-line dilemma is that I am realizing that no one on the face of this earth can truly state with absolute authority who is and who is not talented in regards to poetry. When I read a poem, say by Elizabeth Bishop, and see that there are are references in her poem to subjects that the poet assumes her reader will understand, but those references are understood only by an educated elite I shudder. When I write I want the message or my crying out or quest for some truth, be it emotional or other, to be heard by all human beings and not by any kind of elite, at the risk of the elite poo pooing my writing. Anyway.........

Replies for this message:
    • Gulsher John (10/20/2013 8:50:00 PM) Post reply

Hey Mike, get some Fizzy drinks, i m sure u will feel better or bitter..(.jus kiddin) Anyway yours concerns r worthy to be noticed but... For what you r sermonizing here?Yourself, poetry, readersh ... more

• Lamont Palmer (10/20/2013 7:46:00 PM) Post reply

If you want to eat, you become a plumber. Poetry won't pay the bills no matter how good you are. In fact, the better you are, the less compensated you will be for your poems. In that sense, all poets are 'amateurs', in that, few poets make a living strictly from their writing. So, yes, get a day job and don't dare quit it. -LP

[Hata Bildir]