Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Jefferson Carter Jefferson Carter Male, 91, United States (10/21/2013 11:02:00 AM)

Mike, your questions, though touching, are irrelevant. If you have talent, keep writing. If you don't (don't ask me how one can find this out) , keep writing. It's in the writing that the joy of being a " poet" lies, the interaction between you and words. That's all that really matters. I worry about your ambition; I think it's aimed at the wrong target, being known as a " poet" instead of simply writing poetry.

And I really disagree with your comments about poetic elitism. If you don't understand a reference Bishop makes, GOOGLE the damn thing! Just as being a poet is a never-ending process, becoming an intellectual " elitist" is also a never-ending process, and, as a poetry reader, a worthwhile one.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Mike Acker Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2013 2:26:00 PM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Yes, Master.
    I came upon Elizabeth Bishop by way of reading some amazing poetry by James Merrill. I actually enjoyed her poem " The Sandpiper" very much. As a matter of fact I wanted to understand her poem so much that I discovered an excellent site called " poetry genius" which helps interpret unclear parts of poems as they are highlighted for more detailed interpretation or explanation. Once I resolved all that was unclear to me I walked away with even greater appreciation for masterful poetry. Having said all of that I still would prefer that my average reader " get" my message and get it emotionally without having to do all the work I had to and without a certain expectation regarding the reader's education or intellectual level. That is what I dislike about elitism. As you know, Bertholt Brecht decided to go with the masses and even moved to East Germany so he would live as he believed. There is simply a dilemma, that's all.

Replies for this message:
    • Steven Ralph Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2013 5:45:00 PM) Post reply

All you guys are way too smart for me. Jeez!

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2013 3:59:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If you're reading Merrill, you're reading some of best and strongest poetry to have been written in the mid to late 20th century. Music, imagery, wit, its all abundantly there. -LP

• Gulsher John Rookie - 1st Stage (10/21/2013 12:32:00 PM) Post reply

JC it's very unfair....to every " wannabe" u told keep READING and to this" Miky" you said WRITE...
    Ahh it's pain in the neck...

[Hata Bildir]