Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

()

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Sherrie Kolb Cassel (11/24/2013 11:54:00 AM) Post reply Stage

As a psych major, I am intrigued by the absolute truth (without being clinical) in this beautifully crafted (IMO) poem regarding one person's experience with mental illness. She was tortured, perhaps by an undiagnosed whatever, but she spoke the journeys of so many who are challenged by mental illnesses. Universality is a blessed thing to achieve in one's work. This is tragically beautiful. The chicken or the egg analogy is an apt metaphor regarding my " feelings" about the piece....do I find it sad because she died by her own hands, or because the material that I must deal with in my university program imbues this poem with an exigetical interpretation from a psychological perspective?

Whatever the reason, I am in awe of her work. Today is a poetry kind of day....I will read and write...inspired by this poem. Thanks so much for sharing this, Angie.

• Jim Hogg (11/24/2013 10:14:00 AM) Post reply Stage

Reads like finely honed madness. If it's an accurate picture of her inner wars then suicide must have seemed quite appealing.... and logical, as a means of escaping from some self threatening internal torment...?

[Hata Bildir]