Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Lamont Palmer Male, 52, United States (4/6/2014 4:35:00 PM)

While the jackasses are posting foolish garbage, (amazing how stupid people can be) I thought I'd put up my EK poem. The form can be based on any work of art: a painting, a novel, sculpture, etc. Mine is on one of my favorite novels that still amuses and fascinates me: Catcher in the Rye. I wrote a poem in tribute to Salinger's birthday a few years ago before he died, which would've fit the bill for our exercise, but I thought I'd scribble a new one. -LP

Two Catchers in the Rye

We have double vision, and double hurt,
A penchant to only laugh on the inside,

To know absurdity is moments from your
Life; to accept the loneliness of taverns you enter,

And hookers who hook you on anything but
joy; their fishnets, a web, almost eternal.

There are hills to run to, and to run from, in the
Town of your cosmopolitan dreams; highballs

At night, and old New York being new again,
When Broadway didn’t know commercial despair.

That context itself is a novel; a tempting
Wish to give outsiders a place to exist,

To give our individual Phoebes a chance
To blather on beautifully, while we sulk.

I met you first at sixteen; did not know you till
Adulthood; the wittiest facade to understand.

I can be a twin and not
Come from the same womb
As you,

From the sounds of subways
And dinner clubs
And boorish classmates

Devoured by libido.
I can be that twin in the necktie
On the train to delusion,

Yet with a mind, cerebral
And touchable. Unaware
Of each other

We can be joined
At the cynical waists,
Pronouncing the world, overbought,

Or fending off advances
Of people who love too much;
That is the fiction, the secret self;

Man and protagonist
Merging unwittingly, yet
calm on Freudian furniture.

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 50 Points Alexander Rizzo (4/7/2014 6:08:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

There is an improvisational feel to this, like automatic writing.

• Lamont Palmer (4/7/2014 6:50:00 AM) Post reply

Rizzo, I like symbolism, and enjoy the poems of Mallarme. He's an influence. -LP

• Rookie - 920 Points Mike Acker (4/7/2014 12:16:00 AM) Post reply | Read 2 replies

Sorry, but I tend to agree with these two characters. You should not have touched the title, Lamont. To start with

We have double vision, and double hurt,
    A penchant to only laugh on the inside,

" double hurt" ..Are you serious?

They do have a point about the number of years. I didn't realize it was 44 years. Maybe you should listen to these people, whoever they may be. They claim they want to help you, Lamont. It is full of cliches, and lazy unsophisticated writing, Lamont. I am tired of pointing out your deficiencies, so I will leave it at that.

• Mike Acker (4/7/2014 12:14:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

Yes, how could I be so stupid. the line " And hookers who hook you on anything but joy; " is extremely original. I have never thought of hookers like someone hooking me, amazing! Thank yo ... more

• Lamont Palmer (4/7/2014 6:35:00 AM) Post reply

I don't know why I'm bothering with this because its such a waste of time. Apparently you don't know what a cliche, is Mike. Its a phrase thats been heard over and over again, and is no longer origina ... more

• Rookie - 920 Points Herman Hermanlungen (4/6/2014 5:45:00 PM) Post reply

Two Catchers In The Rye? Oh Mr. Palmer you are truly pasetic. His own children vould not have disgraced his great vork by being so silly as to change an amazing title. All just to satisfy some untalented poet wannabe! To tie your name in such a disgraceful vay is really shameful, Mr. Lamont Palmer. Shameful, especially with such doggerel.

• Rookie - 920 Points Atheanga Tiomaint (4/6/2014 5:37:00 PM) Post reply

Ah, Mr. Lamont Palmer's female dog(not my words, but seem appropriate) . Did you come up with these words yourself Mr. Dogg or does he make it easy for you?

• Rookie - 920 Points Herman Hermanlungen (4/6/2014 5:22:00 PM) Post reply

You don't have any influence here anymore, Palmer. You might as vell pick a rock to you know what under. And don't try to push any more of zis drivel on PH anymore

[Hata Bildir]