Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Mike Acker Mike Acker Male, 61, Canada (4/16/2014 12:03:00 PM)

Very Interesting Frankie(frankly I don't care who you really are) .
Your list is interesting. It is close to what my list would be.

Here is my take:

1. Unquestionably Jefferson Carter. The main reason is that every time I read anything of Lamont Palmer's I always think of molasses dripping and immediately yearn for JC's distilled whiskey..I mean style.
2. Jim Crawford. Not sure(since I am not a professional critic) how far behind JC Jim is. Jim crawford has both brevity and music in his poetry. Knew nothing about him till very recently.
3. I believe Jim Hogg, Danny Reynolds, and sometimes Angie Gunnell occupy third position with Jim Hogg at the top in this position. I would like to see Danny Reynolds " let it all hang out" (as someone mentioned recently.
4. The Scotty Dogg aka Steve Ralph aka Stan Grossman is not far behind the lowest in position three. Have never read anything long though. He my be good at short poems with a punch line and that's it. He seems to be Palmer's barker!
5. Palmer's biggest weakness is what you get when you do the math on his bark compared to his poetry!

Where do I fit? On a scale of 1 to 10 with ten being a Wallace Stevens(The Emperor of Ice Cream, Anecodte of the Jr, etc....) , I am a humble 3 to 4(at worst) and 5 1/2 to 6(at my very best) .

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Rookie - 613 Points Frank Ovid (4/16/2014 1:52:00 PM) Post reply
    0 person liked.
    0 person did not like.

Good list. On a different day mine might have looked like this. Who knows. I'll have to research Crawford. Haven't read much of him yet. Dogg and Grossman write 'Joke Poems', I'd leave them out. And, do you have Palmer at 5?I would think he wouldn't be on your list at all. Shows how much I know.

[Hata Bildir]