Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

Gulsher John Gulsher John Male, 69, Pakistan (6/6/2014 9:52:00 AM)

What is more important in a POEM?
Message?
Meaning?
Construction?(prosody)

(the list can be extended to Sign, Symbol, imagery etc...)

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• F. J. Thomas Rookie - 1st Stage (6/11/2014 9:02:00 AM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

If the only thing that can be said about a work is that " it is perfectly formatted" then it is not poetry. Make me understand your philosophy or feel your pain. Raise my spirits with your happiness or caress my heart with your love.
    Structure can be important; but expressing my own heart, and hopefully reaching the reader's, holds more weight to me. Keep in mind that your question can only be answered by different ones opinions; so please understand that I mean no disrespect with mine :)

• Nonsikelelo Oluhle Blessing Ngcongo (6/13/2014 5:11:00 AM) Post reply

poetry can be defined in many ways but the conclusion of all those different ways is to truely feel and understand the mind of the poet or the main character, when you write you must be able to make t ... more

• Lamont Palmer Rookie - 1st Stage (6/6/2014 2:20:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply

" The importance lies in what the poem is. Its existence as a poem is of first importance, a technical matter, as with all facts, compelling the recognition of a mechanical structure. A poem which does not arouse respect for the technical requirements of its own mechanics may have anything you please painted all over it or on it in the way of meaning but it will for all that be as empty as a man made of wax or straw.” - William Carlos Williams

• Peter Stavropoulos Rookie - 1st Stage (6/9/2014 7:45:00 PM) Post reply

This is a great quote, Lamont. The more I read it the more it rings true. William Carlos Williams has always been one of my favourite poets. The more I read him, the more I get from his poems. Thanks.

• Lorraine Margueritte Gasrel Black Freshman - 2nd Stage (6/6/2014 11:04:00 AM) Post reply

I would say that the elements required in writing a poem would depend on the style and subject.

[Hata Bildir]