Treasure Island

Poetics and Poetry Discussion

Is there a book you just read, a piece of poetry news or a reading you just heard that you want to talk about? Here's the place to start a conversation.
Post a message

Click here to list all messages

John Zwerenz John Zwerenz Male, 45, United States (6/6/2014 10:11:00 AM)

“ON POETRY AND POETICS by John Lars Zwerenz I believe anyone can be a poet if they want to be one. Although I also believe one can not simply compose verse or prose and then go on to live in a common, conventional way that gives no heed to the intangibles of life, to the ethereal and to the mystical aspects of existence. Poets, to be true poets must live as poets, perpetually. That is to say they must sacrifice their own personal wills, inclinations and psyches, and offer them to God, to His muses, and to His providential wisdom, come what may. Often, as in the case of almost every bard whose works have survived through the centuries, to be a true poet entails trusting in the Lord enough to willingly go through ineffable hells and heavens here below, to go through ecstasies and agonies, to go through tortures and raptures, freely- as an oblation, for His sake. Thus the human spirit profits from such an oblation, which is infinitely more important spiritually to humanity than the sum effects of what one has written in books. Edgar Allan Poe wrote profound, beauteous verse because he was a profound and beauteous poet, not the other way around. One first must become a poet in life before one becomes a poet on paper. Such are my beliefs concerning poetry and poets. John”
— ~ John Lars Zwerenz

To post a reply to this message, click here
Replies for this message:

• Peter Stavropoulos (6/7/2014 8:08:00 AM) Post reply Stage

" A poet is someone who writes poetry. A good poet is someone who writes good poetry" . Jefferson's comment is, actually, profound.

• Jefferson Carter (6/6/2014 5:50:00 PM) Post reply | Read 1 reply Stage

AND Poe is a truly minor poet, a scene chewer who thrashes around in the musty, dusty curtains of Gothic melodrama. PU! !

Replies for this message:
    • Professor Plum (6/7/2014 9:12:00 PM) Post reply Stage

You don't get the beauty of it?Eddy was doing everything tongue in cheek. Pulling wool over the academic nerds. I can't believe you don't get Edger Allen! The literary Alfred Hitchcock. Too bad. (a ... more

[Hata Bildir]