Biography of Mike Finley
In the 1970s I was a much-published young poet. But I have since gone into hiding.
Mike Finley's Works:
The Movie under the Blindfold (Vanilla Press,1976)
Home Trees (Minnesota Writers Publishing House,1976)
Water Hills (Salthouse Press,1985)
Looking for China: Selected Poems (Kraken Press,1986)
70 Years Behind the Plough: More Selected Poems (Kraken Press,2005)
The Orchard (Richard Stephens Press,2007)
- Prayer of Thomas Merton (Rewrite)
- ~Les vacances sont fini
- A Prayer For Resilience
- The cresting Minneapolis
- Horses Work Hard
- Your Human Being
- When We Are Gone
- Proof of God
- Gise Pedersen Sets Me Straight on a Matt...
- A Prayer at Planting Time
Be a Better Poet
1. Stop talking and listen. Listen to yourself listening. Then listen to that.
2. Pile all your hats in the back yard and burn them. Especially any with feathers.
3. Remove your name from everything you do. Anonymity purifies. Fame corrodes.
4. Drive out your own sound by inviting in others.
5. Stop breaking sentences into lines. Instead, breathe. The breaks find themselves.