Olivia Slemmermann Poems
- April Fools' Day It Is! Its origins are uncertain A ...
- Shape Poetry - My Tears My tears Soaked my pillow last night
- Haiku Poetry - Lightning Strik...
- Time Stood Still Fragrant nutmeg and acorns Gold dust and ...
- An Acrostic Poem - Evening Sh... Evening shadows brings ...
- Jungle Talk stealthily moving in the marsh, crocodile! ...
- The Online Scammer Aha! I know your face is black, not ...
Click here to add this poet to your My Favorite Poets.
Comments about Olivia Slemmermann
April Fools' Day It Is!
Its origins are uncertain
A celebration most certain.
At the turn of the seasons
The vernal equinox the reason
In medieval European regions
The Feast of Annunciation,
The Romans and Hindus,
Were free to choose
The first day of April a cultural celebration
Dawn the New Year by ancient tradition.
Fixed now by popular demand
New calendar the reason command
Thus belief it stems the creation
Of the Gregorian Calendar, meant organization
New Year, at the beginning of April was gone
In its place a new date was set upon
By Pope Gregory XIII in ...