From Wigan to Australia I am bound
Emigrating to turn my life around
Twenty years a tradesman I have been
With spells of unemployment in between.
We’re off to start a brand new life
Me, my son and the wife
Cousin Bob is renting the house
For shortly he’s taking a spouse.
Our family’s giving us a send off do
Lots of friends will be there too
Day of departure excitement set in
I can’t control my Cheshire cat grin.
Soon we settled without fuss
Life was grand for all of us
We bought a house and built a pool
I thought it would keep us nice and cool.
Over here I’m a pommie over there an ex pat
It doesn’t really matter they all like a chat
We’ve had a good life my family and I
But there’s just one thing before I die.
Before I lay my head to rest
I want to return to the place I like best
This place my heart holds very dear
The place is known as Wigan Pier.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (£10 Pommie by Hazel Connelly )
- Proclaiming Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Easter, Naveed Khalid
- Mona Lisa, Naveed Khalid
- Exciting Colors, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Three Days Before You Left, Mikey Bachman
- Conceptualizing Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- When someone, hasmukh amathalal
- Different Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Little Abstract, Naveed Khalid
- With a logic, hasmukh amathalal