Lawrence S. Pertillar
People taught to think,
And with a doing that is accredited...
From some institution of merit,
Are congratulated on a yearly basis...
For their efforts to accomplish,
An ability to be programmed...
With an acceptance of comformity achieved.
Times are rapidly changing. So fast...
It seems as though those with common sense,
And have expressed abilities to think independently...
Are less involved intentionally with a defective process,
That is increasingly acclaimed for achieving kept delusions intact.
As if in the doing of this will automatically bestow greatness,
Without discipline, respect, initiative or reality sustained.
Many will be lost with a finding themselves trapped.
On this test you are going to be required to use common sense.'
Hold up here.
I was told this was a class on ethics?
Don't you think your request is unethical?
That wasn't a documented requirement.
Nor was it an elective to select.~
'A few months ago...
You might have had an argument.
This is 2014!
And you will come to know,
How truth, common sense and ethics...
Have become strongly related.
This is a test. Not a questioning period.
You've got twenty minutes to either pass or fail.'
Lawrence S. Pertillar's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (2014 by Lawrence S. Pertillar )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(January 30, 1935 – September 14, 1984)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Carol, Sara Teasdale
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
Poem of the Day
- Brain is the link., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Fireworks Of Ideas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sleep it away., Gary Hembree
- Adil Jussawalla The Poet, Bijay Kant Dubey
- It's Morning, Dr Ronnie Bai
- She and He, Dr Ronnie Bai
- My last regret, Eliza Clair
- My Hometown Today, Dr Ronnie Bai
- Half ajar, Mark Heathcote
- Driftwood (II), Dr Ronnie Bai