I try them on like shirts or shoes to see if they fit,
And have my own Venice carnival,
I create them for fun, sometimes, but more for protection,
Those masks that people call by my name,
Personality that wears off with every rain
And crumbles under the heat of the sun.
The public decay of an acting corpse.
Who would you like to see today, my audience,
Whose presence can you tolerate tonight?
Whose presence can I bear to show?
Do you walk away when I cry?
Do you expect a phony laugh and how are you?
The artist, the victim, the murderer?
Write the play for me and I create myself!
Every so often I die with my mask, lie with my mask,
Cry with my mask and kill it off for you, my audience,
When I have jumped the shark like a cheap,
Horrendous character in a pointless play.
And sometimes all I do is put me away.
Some faces are useful when you have forgotten,
And stop asking what is underneath.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (23 Fitzroy by Jan Hauck )
- Income, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I Walk, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Mighty Boxers., Harold R Hunt Sr
- SO MANY TIMES, Roberto Randazzo
- INVISIBLE LETTER, Roberto Randazzo
- HAVE YOU EVER, Roberto Randazzo
- If I were a poet, Cee Bea
- walking free in chains...., Marshall Gass
- Lockdown, Harold R Hunt Sr
- The Difficult Poem, Marshall Gass
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Heather Burns
Harold R Hunt Sr
(Jan 14 1954)