Happy birthday to 65 years.
What does this Canadian birthday signify?
Nothing, really nothing.
Birthdays don’t mean anything anymore.
Birthdays have passed to indifference, boredom…
words that reek of absurdity’s hangover.
At most absurdity is funny…
a respite from boredom.
At least it’s meaningful.
Meaninglesness is too tragic
and it hurts of memories of the past.
There’s always a smile in absurdity.
Or a loud laugh.
Means so little.
Today is my birthday.
I will have been born tomorrow or next year.
And existence…is sweet?
When people make you happy.
And tragic when people make you…tragic.
Nada. Absolutamente nada.
Wake up and tell me what you see outside.
Snow, of course.
I’m too lazy to even get up and see the same slush.
Or maybe afraid that it wouldn’t be snow anymore
but some black, cold substance in its place.
But I’m almost sure there’s snow outside.
Together with the…sun?
And all sing “Happy Birthday! ”
Edmundo Farolan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (65 by Edmundo Farolan )
- it's the little things that make love big, Mandolyn ...
- Time Frozen, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Time To Crash, Michael McParland
- Poetry Delivers, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Near faint beneath golden limes, Mark Heathcote
- Sakat Repertuar, Muzaffer Akin
- Caressing Beauty, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Slipping Away, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Waiting In Revlon's Waiting Area, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Mother & Daughter, Taimane Fanene
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Mighty Horny Power Rangers, Ramona Thompson
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1612 – 16 September 1672)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)