A BEAUTIFUL SMILE
The little girl down the lane,
As hail rattles on her window pane,
Comes down the snowy path
Or walks up to her dilapidated home
Clad in a beautiful blue,
She wears her hair in golden locks
And yet her bold eyes often wet with dew
Will repress warmth
That longs to shine through.
Still them heartless people sneer,
At her stony gaze
Hers and none others
Why her name sets their eyes ablaze
I can only but wonder.
Often I would see her,
On the busy streets of town
Carrying a brown basket full of red apples,
Probably begging for a crown
She hides her face, brave little girl she is
Thinking that no one can see,
Her desperate tears of agony.
She drifts down the streets.
New that I am to town,
Not once have I failed to see
That she too has a heart,
She wishes all she meets
Why doesn’t then god bestow his grace
And free her from all her troubles?
Seeing them ignore and sneer,
My blood simply boils and bubbles.
For I believe I can feel her pain,
When I see her beautiful hand,
Hardened with work
Her hair and clothes wet with rain
Her blue gown soiled in every way possible
And her golden locks straightened out plain.
However she works
However she fairs,
But from her face
It never fades
A BEAUTIFUL SMILE!
Oh! Very worthwhile.
What a sad life!
What do you think pulls her through?
A beautiful smile!
Why they despised her
And why she with it bore,
I can never reach core.
For, in but a few days
I shall leave this dismal place.
But one lesson, I have learned for life
The little girl on the streets,
Has more reasons than us to grieve.
If she can pull it through, so can we!
We have no time to grieve.
In life walk every mile,
With nothing, but a beautiful smile……
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A BEAUTIFUL SMILE by shona sengupta )
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 March 1907 – 11 September 1987)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Clean And Cleanliness, gajanan mishra
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- Main neer bhari dukh ki badli, Mahadevi Varma
Poem of the Day
- Resolution, Neela Nath
- The Fault In Our Stars, Asma Riaz Khan
- Heaven's Delight, JJ Evendon
- (7) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Two or Three, M.J. Lemon
- A Modern Haiku For Modern Life, M.J. Lemon
- We are All Nomads, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Dancing Shadows!, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Still I Rise, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Sweet Sadness, Md. Ziaul Haque