A BEAUTIFUL SMILE
The little girl down the lane,
As hail rattles on her window pane,
Comes down the snowy path
Or walks up to her dilapidated home
Clad in a beautiful blue,
She wears her hair in golden locks
And yet her bold eyes often wet with dew
Will repress warmth
That longs to shine through.
Still them heartless people sneer,
At her stony gaze
Hers and none others
Why her name sets their eyes ablaze
I can only but wonder.
Often I would see her,
On the busy streets of town
Carrying a brown basket full of red apples,
Probably begging for a crown
She hides her face, brave little girl she is
Thinking that no one can see,
Her desperate tears of agony.
She drifts down the streets.
New that I am to town,
Not once have I failed to see
That she too has a heart,
She wishes all she meets
Why doesn’t then god bestow his grace
And free her from all her troubles?
Seeing them ignore and sneer,
My blood simply boils and bubbles.
For I believe I can feel her pain,
When I see her beautiful hand,
Hardened with work
Her hair and clothes wet with rain
Her blue gown soiled in every way possible
And her golden locks straightened out plain.
However she works
However she fairs,
But from her face
It never fades
A BEAUTIFUL SMILE!
Oh! Very worthwhile.
What a sad life!
What do you think pulls her through?
A beautiful smile!
Why they despised her
And why she with it bore,
I can never reach core.
For, in but a few days
I shall leave this dismal place.
But one lesson, I have learned for life
The little girl on the streets,
Has more reasons than us to grieve.
If she can pull it through, so can we!
We have no time to grieve.
In life walk every mile,
With nothing, but a beautiful smile……
shona sengupta's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A BEAUTIFUL SMILE by shona sengupta )
- In A moment of Inattentiveness, Fatima Nusairat
- Circle of friends, Gerry Legister
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.35, Monk E. Biz
- for the man who keeps bees and brings th.., Mandolyn ...
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.34, Monk E. Biz
- Ba: CXII: 'loosening the 'Un', douglas scotney
- The Monster, Barbara Dixion
- There Is Nothing But Darkness, Ronell Warren Alman
- Unpopped Corn Kernals and Cold Hearts..., Monk E. Biz
- The Full Moon, Vigna Mukund
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(22 March 1941 -)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)