A Capital Idea
Money honey...that's what I want...
In this age of buying and selling,
Is there something, they're not telling?
What does it cost them to sell?
Much less than what we pay,
(so why should they tell?)
There would surely be a riot then,
If we knew just what they spend.
We'd all be up in arms and yelling,
What they are keeping secret and not telling.
The only trouble with profit is greed,
as it satisfies no normal need;
It's a road paved with bad intentions,
No more health plans, no more pensions.
We've nothing further more to gain,
We've known all along where troubles lain;
We're on a non-stop, hell-bound train,
We're in a whirlpool, going down that drain.
For what? Big bucks and corporation,
All for the profit of one small nation;
A nation of the powerful and few,
Someday they crash...just like me and you.
david lessard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Capital Idea by david lessard )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Sciences Take xx xxx xx Original .., Lee Mack
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- PH: Poetry Writing: In Poetry, Brian Johnston
- Moving Out, Adriana Avila
- The Main Ingredient, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Missing From Action, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- 12 Poems (English) from the Poetry Hat, sheena blackhall
- Owl & Handbag, sheena blackhall
- Lighthouse, sheena blackhall
- Human Touch, Mark R Slaughter
- Fishing Village, sheena blackhall
- Skull, Mark R Slaughter