A Child Question
Once a old man was asked by a child.
Why should an education matter to me?
Tell me what is the definition of an education.
Why is it so important?
Look at you Grand farther you are not educated.
The old man with the wrinkles of time showing on his face.
The old man pushed back his cap that unlocked the vault of wisdom
that time had stored in his mind.
Then the old man replied.
I can not read my name child.
I can not write my name.
Yet I want more out of life.
Not for me my child, but for you my child.
You see my child an education makes a better man a good man.
Education don't tell you what to think.
Education don't tell you why to think.
Education don't tell when to think.
Nor does it tell you my child why to think
My child it teach you how to think for yourself,
and that my child makes a good man even a greater man.
jackie compton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (A Child Question by jackie compton )
- Dreams Create a Beautiful World, Rohit Sapra
- The touch of a star is like the touch of.., Raymond Sawyer
- The Art of Creation, Anthony Di'anno
- Breathing slow, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Same Moon, Amber Carreon
- You and Your Self, Frank Avon
- delicious red, Mandolyn ...
- Better than that, Cee Bea
- kya mila-, sanjay kumar maurya
- क्या मिला, sanjay kumar maurya
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- After Making Love We Hear Footsteps, Galway Kinnell
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Balade of Complaint, Geoffrey Chaucer
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(1 February 1927)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)